Euthanasia: Matter of Life and Death - Comments

  • I am sorry but I respectfully disagree with you. I don't believe that we have any right to decide when our lives should end. Also what about the people who are in a coma? Do we have any right to decide that their life should end? miracles do happen and I don't think it's fair for someone to decide your life should end.
    August 29th, 2011 at 03:00am
  • Where do you stand on whether or not life insurance should still be given if the person who has already payed for it chooses to die by euthanasia?
    June 27th, 2011 at 07:33pm
  • I believe people who are severely ill and have no chance of recovering, or have a very low living standard should be allowed to legally request Euthanasia. Of course, saying that in theory is all well and good but in practise Euthanasia, voluntary or involuntary, causes many problems therefore keeping it a point of debate.

    The one thing that worries me about it most is who would carry out the giving of lethal injection or other form of Euthanasia? Doctors are the obvious answer but what about their views and feelings? It could just get really messy...

    This was a very good article. Well written, good facts and unbiased. I have to say, very well done.
    April 14th, 2011 at 12:08pm
  • Who wants to be RELEASEDDD?? I got it out of the book 'The Giver'. Lolz
    April 1st, 2011 at 11:38pm
  • This was a really great article. You did a good job keeping it from becoming biased, and I feel really enlightened on the topic now (:

    I personally don't think that euthanasia should be legalized, but I can now see why some people are for it.
    April 1st, 2011 at 01:09am
  • This was such a great article. Your viewpoint on the issue was expressed appropriately (which so many people struggle with) and well supported.

    I agree that euthanasia should be legalised for those suffering with terminal illnesses. I'm not sure about other people, but I'd also like there to be a legal oppurtunity for people to request euthanasia for if they ever get a mental illness such as dementia in something like a will. Personally, I don't want to live a life of reduced quality purely for the sake of staying alive. But that's just a detail.

    However, I think the biggest barrier for this euthanasia issue are insurance companies. In New Zealand where I live, and I'm pretty sure most other countries are the same, families whose loved ones commit suicide do not get paid the life insurance. Euthanasia, while illegal, is technically a form of suicide so the insurance companies don't pay out the families. If it's legalised, these companies are going to lose money. And in money vs. ethics/rights/etcetera, unfortunately, money almost always wins.

    Again, great article :)
    March 31st, 2011 at 10:28am
  • This is undoubtedly a topic where an infinite range of opinions can exist, but here is my personal view. I believe that assisted suicide should not only be legalized but even less restricted than now. It seems to me that anyone who has the wish to die should be allowed to do so. If we say that this is a human right, then why only offer it to the terminally ill? A depressed man could wish to end his suffering just as much as a cancer patient. As long as they are willing to push the button, the option should be available so they do not have to turn to gruesome self-inflicted suicides that often scar the family members. Two things should most definitely remain, however. One is the wait period. This is fairly obvious because people should be allowed to let their "bad moods" pass. The second is that the patient should always be the one to push the button themselves. At the moment that the doctor is the one ending the life too many opportunities to persuade the patient into asking for death arise.

    Now the article. Overall, it was quite well written. A few areas, particularly the opening and conclusion, had very apparent textbook format. And other than that and a few weak sentences peppered throughout, it was an very well written article. I absolutely love the work put into the research. So thank you for raising of very interesting topic and handling it both well and maturely.
    March 31st, 2011 at 05:53am
  • This topic is one of those that can be debated till the end of time. I do agree that euthanasia should be legalized to take those who are severly unwell. Under no circumstances should a healthy individual or one who has a large margin of survival would be applicable for this treatment. Death surrounds many people daily and to prevent unnecessary ones is a must.
    Contrary to the viewpoint above one must recognize the idea that euthanasia could be used to justify the "giving up" of ones life.
    This was a great article!
    March 31st, 2011 at 02:27am
  • Well done.

    Thing is, guys, yeah, the doctor will hook you up, but it's you that pushes the button. Assisted suicide is suicide. We can be organ donors, can't we? Euthanasia should work like that does- giving permission for your next of kin to turn off your life support or what have you if you ever reach such a deteriorated state that you cannot make your own decisions. If you want to.

    No-one else has the right to choose whether or not, if you're actively dying, you die at your own will. People should have the freedom to make that choice.
    March 29th, 2011 at 06:31pm
  • Your focus is too narrow and non-specific. Firstly, you do not define what 'mentally competent' is. Someone could argue that an elderly person is incapable of making the decision due to deteriorated cognitive ability and term them mentally incompetent. The issue here is defining, cogent, concise and practical laws.

    I am all for the legalisation of euthanasia, I too believe it is a right, but we need a system that can be implemented without ambiguity of definitions.

    What does the criteria of Oregon classify has 'mentally competent' or, contrastingly, 'mentally incompetent'? By stating what isn't might give us a greater idea what it is.

    Just some thoughts.
    March 27th, 2011 at 11:01am
  • This is a very interesting topic that I feel I should know more about. Thank you for writing a well-researched and well-written article on the subject.
    March 27th, 2011 at 08:35am
  • Thank you for your comments! What sentences seem unclear? I just made some edits where I misused the term "mental illness" when I meant "terminal illness".
    March 27th, 2011 at 04:13am
  • Good article! It was really logical and well written, which is really good to read.

    The only thing I will say is that I found some sentences a bit unclear at times. Maybe you could try and make your sentences shorter? I think that will make your writing even better.
    March 27th, 2011 at 04:03am
  • This is really interesting. I've always been aware of what euthanasia was, but you brought more facts and points to mind. I agree with Kurtni that it was a good idea to research why it is "good" and why it is "bad."
    March 26th, 2011 at 09:29pm
  • Great article with great research. I like how you used a source that opposed what you said to highlight the flaws, that's more effective than just citing things you agree with.

    Write more articles =]
    March 26th, 2011 at 07:34pm