The Psychology of Racism - Comments

  • honestly, this is biased.
    And very one minded.
    Racism isn't always a bad thing. People just play it off that way because it's the only racism they know.
    Noticing someone is black, white, red, whatever, that in it's simplest forum is racism. just noticing.
    May 9th, 2011 at 07:05am
  • I read the first few paragraphs, and once I got to the history part, I stopped. You're looking at this from a very 21st century point-of-view. When you discuss history, you want to know what the people at the time were thinking when things happened and what the society was like. You can't just say "That's absolutely terrible; why on Earth did they let it go on for so long?" because the people at the time didn't think it was wrong. Our mindsets, points-of-view, and values all change and evolve over time, and you're not really analyzing at all if you don't set your own opinions aside. Leave the bias out, and look at the facts.
    April 7th, 2011 at 09:19pm
  • Very true, in my opinion that is.
    April 7th, 2011 at 03:48pm
  • I agree with what everyone else said, to keep my comment short and sweet :)
    April 7th, 2011 at 03:31am
  • OK. So the first few paragraphs, I was really liking this. You had the quote, a well defined point, nice/compelling writing style.
    The next paragraph though, I was starting to wonder if I was reading a different article, because the topic was suddenly so different :/ It sounds you have a lot to say and you know how to articulate it, which is awesome.
    But you might want to consider not jamming it all into one article. You can have the most well written, informative, persaussive paragraphs in the world...but if ones about pandas, and the others about bannanas, and you put them together, it makes a not so great article.

    As for the points made, I find your point about people going into anorexia because their ethnicities have different body types...interesting.
    However, aren't their white girls with curves too? And for that matter, aren't their super skinny Asians and super skinny African Americans?
    No matter the ethnicity, only the skinny ones generally get represented.
    Personally, I'm Middle Eastern. I've never seen a Middle Eastern model. However, I'm not affected by that so much as the fact that all the models, no matter what color they are, happen to have absolutely no fat.
    I think you've got an interesting thing here, with identity crisies. However, I think you lost the point and it became about something totally different, to be quite honest.

    Overall though, you do seem to be a good writer....you've just got to work on putting things together rationally and staying on topic :)
    April 7th, 2011 at 02:27am
  • I'm sorry if i sounded like i was talking to a little kid, i dont know how old you are so if your out f high school i'm sorry about the teacher comment
    April 7th, 2011 at 01:41am
  • Like the girl below me said, I understand the point you’re trying to get across. However I also agree that your essay took a complete turn from what you were originally going to say. One thing that I just want to say is that if this was a school assignment and I was your teacher, I would immediately hand it back. I love that you use quotes but you didn’t source the quotes or have a bibliography. It’s considered plagiarism when you use a quote that you didn’t originally say. I know that you probably didn’t think about that and that plagiarizing was the last thing you wanted to do, but some people will get highly offended for stating a quote in your essay that you didn’t say. The second thing I want to say is that you should also have shown more facts about how racism plays self mutilation and eating disorders. Depression and eating disorders aren’t just found in women with different back grounds, they are common amongst Men and women. In general I think your essay has to do more with eating disorders and depression then it does racism. I mean, sure racism could lead to bullying, which could lead to depression, but I doubt a black or Hispanic girl watching a size 0 model walk down the runway will cause them to cut them self’s. I’m not saying that it doesn’t happen but it is less likely, to me, that they would turn to such a drastic measure to be perfect. I’m also pretty sure, but correct me if I’m wrong, that women with different ethnicities are more comfortable in their skin then your typical Caucasian female. If you have girls in your school with different ethnicities, watch them and see how they act in public, I’m sure you will notice that they have the whole “I’m perfect the way I am’ attitude which soaring out from them more than it would a white girl.
    I also want to sate the racism is a rather hard topic to do. There may be a lot of history of racism built upon this country but the fact still remains that racism is very much alive today than it was 50-60 years ago. Today I believe it’s against the law to publicly display racism, but one can still be a racist in the confinements of their home. It’s called De Facto racism, which is ones believe that isn’t behind a movement or an organization. They are just naturally racist to different ethnicities, weather it is one or all, but changing their judgment is something that often doesn’t happen. Other than that I thought your essay was very good, like I said I loved the use of quotes just wished you sited them and used more facts.
    April 7th, 2011 at 01:33am
  • While I see the intentions behind your article, you don't actually mention race in your paragraph about self-mutilation. Rather, you discuss brief facts about those who suffer from eating disorders, and I get that you're linking it back to the eating disorders - but again, you don't use facts and statistics to back up the point that a lot of people with different skin colours are the bulk of the people suffering from ED.

    You discuss those who are in the fashion industry, so you're limiting your evidence to those people who want to be seen - rather than those who are [i]really[/i] suffering.

    As you said you have learnt about racism in History - I'm wondering why you haven't mentioned anything about Americanization, where in the early twentieth century, Americans undertook the challenge to Americanize the immigrants - which actually plays more of a significant role than eating disorders and self-mutilation.

    Also, I think it would be of worth mentioning racialization - and how certain behaviours from certain races/ethnicities have caused prejudice and racism - and you could have challenged that saying that civilizations and societies have changed.

    I do get the intentions behind your article, but it turned very quickly into something about [b]you[/b] and [b]we[/b] rather than racism as an issue and the wider psychology behind it.
    April 6th, 2011 at 11:50pm
  • Very insightful and a compelling read. I loved it!
    April 6th, 2011 at 10:37pm