Gadhafi Accepts African Union Plan of Cease Fire

After a restless and seemingly purposeless quarrel, Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi spoke with the South African President, Jacob Zuma on Tuesday. Zuma proposed a cease-fire and, lo and behold, Gadhafi accepted it. Now, after several explosions near Tripoli due to the enraging news, the question is this: How long will this one last?

Moammar Gadhafi has declared several cease-fires in the past, and each resulted in more and more killings of his own people. The fact that the Libyan ruler has declared yet another cease-fire could possible mean more deaths for the people of Libya.

A couple of hours before the explosions, the South African President left the meeting with Gadhafi (in which they decided upon a cease-fire), stating that Ghadhafi, "gave no indication that he was going to step aside and end the hostilities toward his people." Ghadafi also said that the current view is, "that that must include...bombing by NATO must also come to an end."

Gadhafi warned Zuma that all participants must also agree to a cease-fire before it is completely official. Again, although the cease-fire was technically agreed upon, the Libyan ruler gave no signs of ending his homicidal rage toward his own people, most of which are bound to him through his own military. Gadhafi is hurting his own military by killing those in charge, and hurting the public, whose rage is growing each day through their ruler's hurtful acts.

In Switzerland, the UN's top civil rights official stated that Gadhafi's killings are brutal and extremely high in its measures. Hopefully this time will be different.

We can only hope.

Sources: CNN.com.

Latest articles