Take Your Children to Work Day!

If you live in the United States, April 28th is the day where you can bring your child to your work with you. It’s an excellent day for your child to broaden their views and leave the classroom for a day to experience your job with you. It’s an excellent day for you to spend some extra quality time with your son or daughter too. And most importantly, it’s an excellent day for the rest of the staff at your job to take the day off.

Children are wonderful and those who have them are the luckiest people on the planet. Some who don’t have children simply aren’t ready yet or they haven’t found the perfect partner to have a child with. Or perhaps they’re so unfortunate that they can’t have children. Or they don’t want children. Period.

It began in 1993, when Foundation for Women on the fourth of April had a “Take Our Daughters to Work Day”. Since then, it’s escalated to include sons. Yay…

Think about it. If it’s your son or daughter the day must feel spectacular. You get to ride with them in the car, chat excitedly about what the day will look like and discuss the different activities you can partake in. It’s wonderful, because your children are angels and they would never do anything to disrupt the rest of the staff working and they always listen to you.

Or not.

We’ve seen this. The moment the mum or dad shifts their attention away from the little rascals and focuses on their tasks at hand mummy and daddy’s princess or prince turns into monsters running around the office throwing staplers and tripping secretaries, causing them to spill coffee all over important paperwork. Should the poor co-workers try and explain to the parents that their children are not adorable sweethearts but gap-toothed and drooling menaces, they will be met by deaf ears. Because of course, the moment you catch the parent’s attention and point towards their kid the little demon will surely be playing the harp or handing out drawings of rainbows to the other members of the staff. Catching a child in the act is impossible if they’re not your own.

But honestly, don’t hesitate to take your kids with you to work on April 28th, because I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun. Just don’t expect anyone else to be there. If parents are allowed to bring children with them on that one day of the year, then the rest of us are allowed to choose that day to call in sick.

Have a fun day at work kids!

* Quite obviously you're not supposed to take this seriously!

Latest articles