Is Facebook Taking Over Christmas?

There are morning traditions for different families on Christmas day. Some go on walks, others embrace their religion, most open the gifts that relatives have slaved over buying but now there is a new tradition ... Facebook!

According to an article written by teen Amy, Facebook has taken over the winter public holiday that is meant to bring peace and good will among men. Teenagers are taking out their laptops and spreading joy with their Facebook "friends." But has this become too much or is this just seen as an easier (and cheaper) way of sending Christmas card?

As it has now become possible to get the world wide phenomenon on your mobile - when only ten years ago to get internet you had to stick you brick warehouse of a computer out the window and hope somewhere you can get a phone line to connect - millions of people are joining Facebook everyday writing status', uploading photos and seeing who is dating who on the relationship changes. So it's no wonder that teenagers are also using it to share around the festive cheer. Friends, online friends and acquaintances are all expecting a "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" just as common as it is to expect a "Happy Birthday" even - and it's becoming increasingly common- if you do not know the person sending you their wishes. The source says: "It has happened several times to friends of mine. They have received birthday messages from people they never talk to and wouldn’t even expect to remember their birthday, let alone wish them a happy one, but thanks to the handy Facebook reminder, the whole world knows the exact birthdates of said friends." But of course these people want one in return ...

People are saying that the public holiday is meant to be spent with the family, and that is how it should stay! Although I disagree! What is wrong with spreading some festive well wishing to your contacts on the website? What if the person you are saying it to has no one? That message has probably just made their day and allowed them to join in on the celebrations. I mean it's not like your asking to meet up with them in a dark alley in a town that makes some of America's hardest prisons look like paradise city!

I say spread the festive cheer! Shout it form the rooftops! Put it on a bulletin board! And if you dare, write it on Facebook!

Latest articles