Operation Christmas Child

Among other things, Christmas is a time for giving and sharing, and who best to give to than those who are less fortunate than us.

Each year, Samaritan's Purse -a well-known humanitarian organization- hosts Operation Christmas Child, a Christmas gift exchange drive in which presents for needy children are collected and then distributed around the world. Those who chose to participate can compile a collection of toys, accessories, or educational products and pack a shoe-box for a boy or girl between the ages of 2 and 14.

Each shoe-box donated must be affixed with a label specifying for whom your shoe-box has been prepared– a boy or girl between the ages of 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14 – and filled accordingly. Gift ideas include toys, hygiene items, school supplies, or cold-weather accessories. The boxes can be gift-wrapped (with the box and top wrapped separately) and taken to the nearest drop-off location.

This Monday marks the start of National Collection Week here in the US – participants have until the 21st to drop off their shoe-boxes. The deadline for shoe-box submissions in the UK is November 18th.

For More Information:

  • Operation Christmas Child: US + UK
  • How to Pack a Shoe Box Gift: US + UK
  • Drop-off Locations: US + UK
  • Frequently Asked Questions: US + UK
  • Gift ideas: US + UK

Latest articles