Students Cut Back on Clubbing

Although it seems that students are drinking as much as ever, they have recently taken to drinking at home, rather than going out. This is not due to a decline in the popularity of clubs, but simply because they can no longer afford to get drunk at the soaring prices found in pubs and clubs.

Eloise Fox, a student at the University for the Creative Arts, claims that since moving to university she has resulted in buying cheap brand vodka in comparison to more expensive drinks that she has bought in the past. She also states, "Drinks in clubs are just too expensive unless it’s a student night. We usually just pre-drink and go out later now because it’s so much cheaper.”

The prices of drinks in clubs have shot up in the past year, as it can often cost up to £5 for a single vodka and coke, which is a shocking comparison to the 35cl bottles of vodka that are available for the same price in stores.

Clubs are clearly missing out on money from students, as their most popular nights are often targeted at young people, specifically their ‘student nights’ which usually include cheap drink offers in order to lure in young adults. Despite this, they seem to be unsuccessful, as many students claim that drinks are still overpriced.

Latest articles