Dangers of Teen Driving

Did you know that vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for teens living in the U.S.? Over one-third of deaths that occur among teenagers are caused by motor vehicle accidents, and more than 5,000 teenagers die because of these horrid accidents. Driving accidents cause more deaths than suicide, homicide, cancer, and heart disease.

Many people may believe that motor vehicle accidents may only happen to teenagers who are reckless, unobservant or just don't drive carefully. But this is dangerous to presume, because anybody can get into a car accident. One fourth of people in the United States will get in a major or fatal car accident sometime in his/her lifetime. Car accidents can be caused by other cars on the road, which is why it is important to pay attention to your surroundings and the people around you when you are behind the wheel. You may never know if the person behind you is suddenly going to speed up or swerve, so it is best to keep a wary watch so that you will be able to respond as quickly as possible.

Talking and texting on the phone can be highly risky, because they can divert your vision from the road. Just looking down at your phone “for a second” can turn out to be longer than you expect it to be, or longer than you can afford, especially if you receive a long text or something interesting. And, in that one second, your surroundings may have changed. The car in front of you may have stopped, or you may have swerved into the next lane. Because teenagers rely on their phones so much everyday, it is more likely for a teenager to face this form of danger.

Last year alone, distracted drivers were blamed for nearly 6,000 deaths, and among the youngest drivers, a recent survey found half of those between the ages of 16 and 29 admit to driving-while-texting, according to Common Knowledge Research Services, a marketing research company.

That is a dangerous statistic, especially considering how many lives it can put on the line.

Pressure can also cause a teenager to make bad decisions on the road. Whether it be brought on by peer pressure or the need to be somewhere by a certain time, speeding is never the solution. Not only can you get a ticket, but it can also take your life away. It may seem like a good idea at the time or “the cool thing to do,” but nothing beats being a safe driver and making sure that you are not putting yourself and/or somebody else in danger.

Peer pressure cannot only cause teenagers to make bad decisions while driving, they can cause drivers to make bad decisions that can affect their driving. Drinking and doing drugs can heavily affect perception and driving abilities. Perhaps the most risky effects on people who have been drinking are blurred vision and slowed reaction time. How can you see where you are driving if you do not have clear vision of what is happening in the road in front of you? And slowed reaction time may cost you your life, because you may not be able to step on the brake or register what it is happening in time to react properly.

There are many factors that contribute to driving being especially dangerous for teenagers, whether it be peer pressure or because driving is so new, but there are also many ways to prevent accidents before they can happen. It is always better to be safe than sorry. Wearing a seat belt may not always seem like the appealing or important thing to do, but it sure beats and prevents getting killed on impact if you crash into a tree. And there are many other precautions that should and could be followed to prevent vehicle accidents from continuing to be the leading cause of death among teens.

Latest articles