Graffiti: Art or Just Vandalism? - Comments

  • faster.

    faster. (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    I feel that this was a pretty well written article, and I definitely agree with the differences you stated between artistic graffiti (like Banksy) and somewhat random teenage doodles in a bathroom (though, I do think that sometimes the latter can be just as much about self expression as the former, even if it's not nearly as artistic or striking). Also, after reading the little summary at the top of this page, I wish you had gone more into the history of graffiti in the actual article. I think it would have helped bring readers in, and teach us something about this art form before we got into the debate part of it (plus, some might argue that the summary is a bit misleading as to what the article will contain with that missing).

    Still, I don't feel like this was a "bad" article; I just feel it could be a BETTER article had you included some more history, as well as some more specific examples of the different types of graffiti (ie- a particular work of Banksy's and why you respect it/feel others should respect it), examples of the right and wrong locations of graffiti, the different groups who create it and how they use it (gangs marking their territory, musical artists advertising their projects, jealous ex-girlfriends telling the users of a particular stall that "Julie's a SKANK!!!", bored teenagers doodling on a park bench...), and maybe some insight into the legalities of graffiti art, and what you feel draws the line between "graffiti art" and "vandalism".
    March 21st, 2012 at 03:55pm
  • Graffiti Kid

    Graffiti Kid (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with graffiti being an art form in its own right. I like graffiti art that artists do in the city (the ones that legally are permitted to draw on the sides of buildings), but the vandalism graffiti is something completely different. Vandalism graffiti is used to claim territory with gangs and to 'just do it' as a rebellious teenager. I mean hey, popping pills is illegal, but when used correctly, pills can help a peron get better.
    March 16th, 2012 at 01:40am
  • the sea

    the sea (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    A lot of graffiti in my neighborhood really is vandalism done by gangs claiming their 'territory." Graffiti is associated with gangs, this is why it is considered vandalism. A lot of graffiti I see is vandalism. People just go right on up and spray paint ridiculous things on local businesses and all over. This is vandalism.
    I have seen other graffiti though done with more taste and can be considered street art. Not all graffiti is vandalism, but some is.
    March 10th, 2012 at 12:37am
  • fishsticks08

    fishsticks08 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Graffiti isn't illegal. Vandalism is. I know of places where graffiti is approved of. As long as, you get the permission of the owner of whatever it is you're painting on, it is not illegal or frowned upon. Vandalism is when you do not have permission and are defacing property, whether the message is positive or not. It may be an art form, but either do it on your own things or get permission. If it's owned by the government, obviously you can't just go defacing that either. A lot of business owners might want it on their wall as a sort of mural and it can actually help business. I know of a few businesses that hired a few street artists to do a mural. It's all about property rights.
    March 9th, 2012 at 10:01pm
  • pulmonary archery.

    pulmonary archery. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I think it's safe to say there are two entirely different meanings to the word 'graffiti'. Tagging a train carriage is graffiti - vandalism. Which is bad. Creating a creative piece in an approved zone (like, being paid/asked to do a shop front) is graffiti - art. Which is good. Spray paint is just the medium, and it can be used in a positive, creative way, but I think it's pretty clear when someone is just trying to be a tough guy and deface someone's property.

    Banksy is a bit of a conundrum. He is an artist, no argument. He creates art; it has meaning and purpose (he even has exhibitions), but then anyone could claim their graffiti has 'meaning' when it quite clearly doesn't, just to get away with it. It's a tough call.
    March 8th, 2012 at 08:32pm
  • Brah;

    Brah; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Peru
    Graffiti being seen as vandalism has its good sides too. I dont know about other people but for me it ads certain adrenaline and excitement to it. Not knowing if you´re getting caught or not. Its a nice feeling.
    Theres a difference between taggers and artits though. Tagging is about writting your name at as many places as you can, and if done well it does have a quite artistic look. Just different.

    Think about it, would you be ok if the walls of your house were covered with graffiti and tags? I doubt it. Thats why it is vandalism. Some people are nice enough to give an artist a wall and let them create, but thats usually not the case.
    March 6th, 2012 at 06:00am
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    I'm pro-street art, and I practice it myself, though nothing with spray paint or permanent markings. Once and a while I make sculptures and stick them in places and watch people for a little bit. It's pretty fun.
    March 6th, 2012 at 05:23am