Bullying Leading to Suicides

School bullying has been around forever. It all starts when there’s a new student in the school that isn’t popular or when a student just isn’t like everyone else. Then kids start teasing them and calling them names and eventually leads them to committing suicide. It’s not just kids who are the bully’s adults are to. You’d think that adults would be the ones helping the kids but some just go along with it. It’s sad to see mothers and friends bullying people. It’s not right and no one deserves to be bullied. But life isn’t like that it makes everything worse for the people getting bullied because it doesn’t just lead to depression it leads to suicides and people don’t realize that it’s a big problem. Bullying is everywhere not just in school. There’s cyber bullying, which is when bullies send bad messages through websites like MySpace and Facebook to the victims to hurt them.

It’s no surprise that kids get bullied in school. Take high school for example, everyone has their own clubs and own styles. If you’re not in one of those groups or styles then you’re not popular. But some take it to the extreme, for example in the case of Jared High. He was a boy that was energetic and loved to play. He had a few hearing problems but that didn’t stop him from living life. On May 6, 1998 he got beaten up badly by a bully that would mess with him a lot. He got thrown against the wall and hit in the stomach multiple times. When he told his mom about it the school just had a meeting with the bully but the bully said that Jared started it. But that wasn’t true. The bully had beaten him up badly for no reason. When Jared’s mom took him to his chiropractor he said that if he had gotten thrown one more time he would have broken his back and neck and died. On September 29, 1998 Jared shot himself in his mom’s office. He killed himself with his dad’s gun while he was alone at home. These are innocent kids who are just trying to live a normal and happy life and they can’t even do that because there are people out there who want to hurt them.

You would think that school bullying is bad but cyber bullying in my opinion is worse. The bullies can pretend to be someone and then in the end they turn out to hurt the victims just by talking to them. It can be through text to and through websites like Facebook and MySpace. Bullying is like a virus that you can never get rid of because each day it gets worse and worse. There are a lot of stories out there about cyber bullying but one stuck out to me the most. In the case of Megan Taylor Meir, she was a 13yr old girl who struggled through life while she was growing up. She was overweight and had attention deficits disorder for years. But know she had lost weight and was a happier person. Up until she met a guy named Josh Evans on MySpace. She added him on MySpace and he would say a lot of nice things to her and she thought he was really hot. But one day he started telling her awful things that made her feel horrible. After she told her mom she went to her room and killed herself. The worst part of all of this is that Josh Evans never existed it was there front neighbors and some people from the block that made it up to see if Megan was talking bad about their daughters. This is an outrage. They made a fool out of Megan just to know if she was talking bad about their kids. No adult should do that.

This isn’t to bore you or to make you change the world it’s to inform you that you can make a difference in one kids life if you just speak out about bullies in schools or online. Even if you think someone is being bullied it’s better to be safe than sorry and you should talk to that person and make sure there not being bullied. All these kids that died from being bullied should get respect in this world by people making a difference and stopping these bullies. There are already a lot of problems in this world and bullying shouldn’t have to be one more problem for kids. One day at a time bullies can be stopped.

Sources:

Megan Meier Foundation
Jared's Story

Latest articles