LGBT History Month: UK

The month of February might be the shortest month of the year but that doesn't stop it from being one of the more active ones. People start planning for events such the Super Bowl, Valentine's Day, and Ground Hog Day. Entire contries take the time to honor observances such as Black History Month, Creative Romance Month, or National Weddings Month. The UK in particular takes this time to honor and show their gratification towards a specific demographic.

February is home to the UK's Lesbian, Gay, Bi, and Transgender Month, or LGBT Month, which is a month-long, annual celebration of the lives and achievements of the LGBT community. It is recognized in both the United States and the United Kingdom; the former recognizing it in October. LGBT Month focuses on addressing the concerns of diversity and equality for peoples of the LGBT community by bringing a number of devotees and organizations together for the overseeing of pre-launch and launch events, the creation of websites, organized funding, nation wide programs, and exclusive news coverage.

Discrimination against homosexuality has been an issue since the 13th century. The LGBT community has struggled with oppression and persecution because of prejudice, intolerance and even indifference throughout history. The origin of LGBT Month in the UK can be traced all the way back to 1974 with The Gay Teachers Association. Eventually that association evolved into the organization known as School's Out!, a membership based organization that takes part in research, debate and curriculum development on the LGBT people and issues. It was founded by Paul Patrick and Sue Sanders as an organization aimed at facilitating equality in the classrooms for teachers and student alike. School's Out! respectfully acknowledges Black History Month as an influence and a kind of parent example.

“The LGTB Month is all about celebrating diversity and cultural pluralism... (Sandy Mewies AM).”

The UK's LGBT Month saw it's birth in 2004 during the month of February in response to the repeal of Section 28. The movement was started by School's Out! following the example of the US, where the history month has existed since 1994. LGBT community members and allies come together to celebrate important hallmarks in LGBT rights as well as to reflect on some of the darker aspects in history that served to kick start the movement. Supporters such as the National Assembly of Wales and the Encompass Network in Cambridge show allegiance by organizing events and by raising the rainbow flag over buildings that they own.

This year LGBT History Month is focusing on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, or STEM, which means that community members that have made contributions and advancements in these areas in particular are being highlighted. Special honors are being paid to people like Alan Turing, known best for work in World War II which contributed significantly to the Allied victory.

Also special to this year, the councils of London's boroughs of Camden and Islington have joinced forced to celebrate and host the UK's largets LGBT month celebrations. Nigel Harris of the Camden LGBT Forum says: "Everyone really pulled together this year to bring Camden and Islington the biggest LGBT History Month in Europe. With so much talk about same-sex marriage, it's a good time to reamind LGBT people and our straight allies that our vastly rich heritage is nothing new."

People interested in giving their support to the LGBT organization and their allies should consider following LGBT activities through their official Facebook or Twitter pages or visit their website and see what is going on and what you can do to help.

Latest articles