Tying the Satin Knot

Beginnings Of A Forever

A proclamation, a dedication of sorts, to be instilled in the name of all that is faithful and eternal... World Marriage Day happens to take place on the second sunday of February, recurring throughout the years as a moment when all couples of all given backgrounds, are recognized for their sacred purity, and prolonged trustworthiness in one another.

Originating from the dank swamps and beautiful, seaside sunsets of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, taking place in the latter months of 1981, flocks of couples gathered together to profess their personal bonds to the Governor, Mayor, and Bishop...centerpieces and acclaimed leaders of the bayou city. Their request was to declare the former "St. Valentines Day," as the new "We Believe In Marriage Day," hoping to gain a small sliver of attention. Instead of just a small slice of recognization, the event itself happened to be highly favorable, and was so much a source of consideration that even World Marriage Encounter (a religious-based program designed to help a couple's relational state), saw fit to approve the proposal, and took it upon their own countenance to release the idea to the masses.

Soon after, sometime in 1982, forty-three governors in total made the day an official happening around the United States, also spreading the affectionous, assiduous disease to various military bases around select countries of the entire world. With one more year's worth of couple-led celebration, the recent "We Believe In Marriage Day," was soon diverted into the now known "World Marriage Day," and designated to be observed on the 2nd sunday of February, as an official, national commemoration. Ten years following, in 1993, John Paul II, (pope of the Catholic Church at the time), bestowed his Apostolic Blessings to the carrying out of World Marriage Day.

World Marriage Day

World Marriage Day is seen commonly as the abbreviation, WMD. The permanent theme of WMD resides as the phrase, "Love One Another," based upon the foundations of Jesus' commandment written in John 15:12 of the Holy Bible.

(To symbolize the ties of marriage, a logo might be noticed on banners and draperies sometimes, portraying two versions of taller and shorter silhouette-like shapes, standing for female and male, with a solid scarlet heart piercing through the middle to state the divine unity of the worldwide held celebration.)

There is also an official prayer for the representation of the occasion, and can be located here, on the authentic website of World Marriage Day.

Tying The Satin Knot

As of 2013, the WMD movement is still spreading to new countries around the globe, and has become one of February's most accredited advents, lining up with established names like Valentine's Day, Black History Month, and LGBT History Month alike. Marriage is, indeed, a force to be taken within and pushed aside to someone else, but it is also a bond, a bond that can never be broken, one that has stood and will stand the tests of limitless time.

Latest articles