Sexism and Feminism: The Muslim Perspective - Comments

  • discoveringclouds

    discoveringclouds (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    @ GoodGirl;
    The religion does not do it. It's against the religion of Islam. It is even stated in the Quran. Those who killed their daughters will be accountable.

    So before Islam there was lots of femicide... And women had no rights at all they were traded like property. Then Islam came through the prophet Muhammad may peace and blessings be upon him. And then women got rights. The quran is the message from God that Muslims follow. There is even a chapter in the Quran called the women.
    Just check the website quran explorer.

    Islam means peace and gives rights to even animals. If an animal is tortured or brutally killed it is not permissible to eat. You have to slaughter it in a way that I have heard is mostly painless.

    So don't say that it's a part of the religion to kill women. It is not.

    And sadly yes, there are honour killings and baby girls killed in india and china for the most part, I don't think as much research has been done otherwise. People are especially concerned because the male to female ratio is predominantly male when the aggregate of the world is predominantly female. So they can tell that something is wrong. Also lots of girls get left at orphanages. That is horrible. And I doubt it is part of any religion but those regions have some people who do that. My professor for family studies said it is part of the culture to prefer males to this degree. :(

    And guys we should not be sexist to men, they have their own place in the world and not all of them are horrible. If some men are sexist doesnt mean we should all be sexist too. Nice men exist Like my family members and other people I met, professors, and there are so many male scholars that are feminist or call for equality. I'm sure you know this already and know nice guys yourself.
    March 12th, 2013 at 03:28pm
  • GoodGirl;

    GoodGirl; (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    100
    Location:
    United States
    @ Iris.
    I know, but this is the way things are in India, it's the culture there, the way it's always been. I wasn't talking about just the religion, but the way things are and the unfair treatment

    @ iwriteficsnotsins
    And I am Hindu, but I was just stating that this is a common theme in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and the Middle East. It's not just the religion that does it,
    March 12th, 2013 at 11:56am
  • discoveringclouds

    discoveringclouds (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    @ iwriteficsnotsins
    Well the prophets wife was a business woman so you should be able to do a lot. Ask a scholar or something. I know a doctor who practices from home but that's Pakistan. She also lectures. I know teachers and housewives and professionals that are women in the UK and they cover and practice islam. Islam is simple. People make it difficult.
    Your article spoke as if these things are universal... When they are not. That's the problem. You didn't really address the specific parts of your life, so maybe be more clear next time. And isnt personal opinion supposed to be in blogs? One of my articles wasnt published because it had too much of my personal perspective.

    Also learning more about your rights will probably make it easier to learn what to do. Also praying will help. Allah helps the oppressed.

    Interestingly I head that 5000 British professionals converted to Islam and I know two women who are in business and journalism that converted to Islam. They continued their jobs, if not worked even farther than before!

    Also look, you're on a computer or phone and you can have a business right at home if that's the problem or connect yourself to a job or something great. Islam isn't incompatible with women working.

    Islam has given women so many rights, just YouTube or google search it. Or books. It's not hard to find. Or find a teacher near you that can teach you the Deen.
    March 12th, 2013 at 05:21am
  • raja sahara

    raja sahara (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I, too, am a Muslim and I live in the U.S and though I'm only 17 years old, I've never experienced discrimination because of the fact that I am an Islamic woman. This article seems very misleading because it is your own opinion and experiences. I thought this was a study or at least somewhat research-based but it's interesting to see other perspectives on something I believe in as well.
    March 12th, 2013 at 04:09am
  • warmaiden

    warmaiden (6085)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2015
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Oh, you didn't offend me at all. I know for a fact that we all have our separate opinions and I am totally okay in listening out to yours as well. The article didn't seem to offend me one bit. Fact of the matter is, is that I do hear a lot about what you did state, such as arranged marriage and stuff.

    In that sense, a woman really can't escape something like that for their families reputation is at stake and what not. So, I do understand where you are coming from.
    March 12th, 2013 at 03:12am
  • Little Robyn;

    Little Robyn; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    @ iwriteficsnotsins
    Yes, but GoodGirl; has stated before she's Hindu. Hinduism and Islam are different.

    If it helps you any, I completely agree with your standpoint on this ideal. Perhaps it's wrong, but it's what I've learned from studies in my religion class.
    March 12th, 2013 at 03:11am
  • iwriteficsnotsins

    iwriteficsnotsins (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    @ discoveringclouds
    @ BurstYourBubble
    @ Brianna Marie
    @ Grotesque.
    @ l0lita-
    @ hollywood .
    @ GoodGirl;
    @ Iris.

    I'm sorry if I completely offended anyone, that's from my perspective as a muslim. And I have no source cause that IS what I go through, and as you can obviously see stated in other comments by other users; other muslim women go through that as well. I'm just saying that it isn't fair.

    I'm really glad that your life is going great, all of you. I really am, but honestly where I am, I can't be seen more as becoming a housewife, and I really want to become more to prove them wrong. Thank you all for commenting and sharing your ideas, though.

    And there is Islam in India, as well as other religions.
    March 12th, 2013 at 03:09am
  • Little Robyn;

    Little Robyn; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    @ GoodGirl;
    Except Hinduism and Islam are completely different religions. They're incomparable.
    March 12th, 2013 at 02:55am
  • GoodGirl;

    GoodGirl; (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    100
    Location:
    United States
    I'm from India and this is exactly why I'm glad I don't live there anymore. This behavior is so.. Frustrating, although India's starting to get better
    March 12th, 2013 at 02:52am
  • hollywood .

    hollywood . (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Canada
    I'm a female muslim convert and I have more rights now than I EVER did as a Christian. This isn't even an article. It's biased, you state no facts, no citations, no sources, and you're pretty insulting at the same time. Maybe you should spend time learning about Islam and everything that goes with it. If you knew anything about it, you'd know that Islam has given women more rights than you could ask for.
    March 12th, 2013 at 01:36am
  • dally winston.

    dally winston. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I'm not muslim, but where I live (Dearborn, MI), the muslim women are looked down upon and treated differently by their men. The men even treat the women who aren't muslim, like dirt as well. And I know this from firsthand experience. I get it's part of their beliefs and everything, but this is America (for me at least), and not the old days.
    March 12th, 2013 at 01:24am
  • warmaiden

    warmaiden (6085)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2015
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I'm also a Muslim and I don't agree with a lot of stuff on here at all. I'm in Highschool, a junior to be exact. I'm planning to get out of here and head to a creative writing university to become a publish author. Or so, that's my dream.

    Marriage is not a necessity in life. It's there, doesn't have to be forced? I have a voice and as far as I know, it can be heard.
    March 11th, 2013 at 11:13pm
  • Teddi Manni

    Teddi Manni (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Your last line made me gush! <3 It's so true, but I highly doubt men could live without women. They can't even spell "sammich" right, let alone actually MAKE one. Anyway, it is very true that though throughout the world, there are places where women are claimed to have rights, but men will still continue to treat us as the lesser beings of the two genders. It's irritating, maddening, and makes me angry.
    March 11th, 2013 at 10:09pm
  • BurstYourBubble

    BurstYourBubble (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    South Africa
    agree with comments below. where exactly did you find that a woman would be blame/ punished/ beaten for being raped. im in high school at the moment and did i mention? im a muslim and i plan on becoming a doctor... and my place isnt as a baby-producer according to ANYONE (well anyone except you)... plus, maybe there are arranged marriages but did you know if a gil says no to the marriage ITS HER DESICION THAT MATTERS?no one can force her islamically.. so tell me again about how we dont have equal rights?
    March 11th, 2013 at 10:08pm
  • discoveringclouds

    discoveringclouds (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    What you are speaking about is the time before Islam, Jahilliya, the time of ignorance. That was when girls were killed for being born, this is called femicide and is now practiced in India and China. The Quran clearly speaks out against it.

    As a Muslim it is your obligation to go seek out knowledge, we are accountable for everything we say on Judgement Day in front of Allah swt. I can only tell you that this perspective has a lot of bias, even western scholarship would not agree. So go seek knowledge and seriously consider what you say about things you know nothing about. It is better to stay silent and understand that you do not know, who knows what you can do if you tell someone falsities? For example, look into the origins of how wudu tayammum was brought about. A man died because people told him things based on what they did not know and the Prophet PBUH was so sad that he called them murderers.

    Look at the example of the prophet to guide you. Don't just accept everything you hear on the media and see in the news (which are also known to be politically swayed, left, right etc.).
    March 11th, 2013 at 08:45pm
  • discoveringclouds

    discoveringclouds (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    What is the basis of the article?

    The facts have no source.

    You have not given any citations and have gone completely off of the media and things you might have seen. This article is racist. I am very offended by it.

    I'm a Muslim woman and I have lots of rights. I have more education than my brothers, I have the right to work and more opportunities of success in the world of work than any of my uncles or male cousins. So tell me, where am I lacking rights?

    Muslim girls I know are becoming engineers and doctors and dentists. The only girls in their classes at times. Tell me, where are they held back?

    This is not a Muslim perspective. Go learn about Islam, get a teacher if you don't know how to find authentic information and learn something properly. You don't teach yourself math or writing by yourself you go to school to know. So learn properly what true Islam is before going on an orientalist rant about Muslim women.
    March 11th, 2013 at 08:31pm