Teen Driving - Comments

  • youth and whiskey.

    youth and whiskey. (415)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    I hate driving with my Dad. He takes the wheel out of my hands and practically freaks dead out in the passenger seat and that makes me a nervous wreck. I already have nerve problems and between he and my uncle screaming at me when I'm not even doing anything that disorderly - I'm usually over a little too far one way or the other. That's something that I don't need to be screamed at for. Tell me I need to get over and I will, it's as simple as that. Once when I was driving into town, the road I was driving on is pretty narrow and somewhat curvy. I was doing the best I could - it was my first time driving the road. My dad had me literally in tears and I was on the verge of a panic attack because he was freaking out so much. THAT was not safe in any way. Stressing out whoever is behind the will is more than likely going to impair their driving. I still don't have my license. I feel like I can't drive well because of my father and uncle and driving actually makes me so nervous because I'm afraid I'll mess up and get in trouble. That's ridiculous that I feel that way, but my uncle (who nearly caused us to wreck because he leaned over and jerked the wheel away from me, as well) and father have no right to be pressuring me to get my license as they basically tell me I can't drive.

    Whoa, talk about a small rant. File
    July 12th, 2013 at 07:51pm
  • inactiveauthor

    inactiveauthor (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    the thing with teaching your kid how to drive is if you dont put pressure on them, they'll be reckless (not necessarily on purpose, either). if they dont get that harsh criticism, they wont learn how to drive responsibly. like you said in the article, it can potentially be dangerous, but based on my own personal experience of driving lessons, if it wasn't for my mother making me cry every time we went out driving i wouldn't know how to in the first place and luckily she taught me to keep an open eye at all times because not everyone pays attention to the road. you just gotta suck it up and realize that yeah, its tough and scary and you aren't going to be perfect. my driving instructor actually almost got me in a few accidents whereas my parents were more concerned for my well-being, so safe to say i didn't pay or continue going to the professional driving teacher. driver's ed does exist which taught me all of the driving laws, some states don't make it mandatory but regardless it is an option for people to take if they really want to become educated on all that. but putting someone behind the wheel for the first time, teenager or not, isn't gonna be pretty if you just expect them to know what they're doing. if you start driving for the first time at 26 instead of 16, you're still not gonna know how to drive and are still gonna need lessons.
    April 7th, 2013 at 06:51am