Gay Iranian Seeking Asylum

Gay Iranian Seeking Asylum Britain has granted a gay Iranian boy reprieve from being deported back to Iran, where he could be punished and killed for his sexuality.

19 year old Mehdi Kazemi's plea has been reconsidered, "in light of new circumstances" of Kazemi's position, says Interior Minister Jacqui Smith.

His Dutch lawyer, Borg Palm, states that "This is very positive. But reconsidered doesn't mean he'll get a permit, they could still deny what he is asking," on Thursday.

Kazemi arrived to study in Britain in 2005, and later learned his lover back in Iran had been hanged for charges of homosexuality and sodomy, which is illegal in Islam.

Kazemi's plea for asylum was originally rejected, but has now been granted, but awaiting on a permit. He also sought asylum in the Netherlands, but due to his plea in Britain, it was rejected immediatly, and is awaiting to be deported back to Britain for the decision of his plea there.

This whole case has angered many gay-rights groups, and Human rights groups globally, and many have rallied to Kazemi's cause. The Iranian government has a record of torturing, imprisoning and executing many homosexuals.

"If returned to Tehran, he will be at risk of imprisonment, torture and execution," said Peter Tatchell, the founder of Outrage, a gay rights group.

Latest articles