Anti-Emo Turmoils In Mexico

Anti-Emo Turmoils In Mexico Around several cities in Mexico a break out of riots occurred targeting emo kids who are well-known through stereotypically wearing eye-make up, black clothing and black dyed hair.

The attacks started in early March as people began an emo-beating rampage in Querétaro, north of Mexico.

They were executed by the punk and metal-heads -the tribus urbanas- who went on harassing the previously mentioned. Also, it was reported by a Mexican newspaper that the metal-heads allegedly threatened the emos for them to stay away thus avoiding the town's fair next month.

This issue has caused for the police to go as far as providing protection for the kids; who also arranged to protest against the violence and their right to be emo.

The main reason of these attacks is that the label emo is usually accompanied with homosexuality; a sensitive subject for most cultures evidently which has stirred many issues worldwide.

"What do you do when you are confronted with a question mark about sexuality in Mexico? You beat it up."

That's the reply Gustave Arellano, the author of Ask a Mexican and an editor in OC Weekly, has set on the matter, explaining that the vague sexual nature of the emo culture has helped in the targeting of these groups by more masculine crowds.

Latest articles