Teenage Bonfire Killer Jailed

Teenage Bonfire Killer Jailed A 13 year old teenage boy has been jailed for at least 13 years for murdering Stephen Croft. The remains of Stephen Croft's badly charred body was found on the remains of a public bonfire on November 6, 2007.

Liverpool crown court yesterday heard Smith, who was on the run from a care home, launched the brutal and unprovoked attack after drinking with Mr Croft by the fire on wasteland in Birkenhead.

By the end of the evening Mr Croft, 35, who had turned to drink following an accident in 2006, was incapable of defending himself. After the beating Smith stole Mr Croft’s tobacco, cigarette papers and a lighter before dumping his body on the bonfire near the YMCA in a bid to conceal his crime.

Smith has been described as "troubled and troubling" by a social worker, first appearing
in court two years ago. His lengthy record includes eight convictions with his last court appearance just a week before the murder.

In the weeks leading up to the killing he had become increasingly aggressive and on November 3, while on a day trip to Alton Towers, he assaulted another youngster before later turning on a care worker.

The next day he tried to flee the care home in Haslingden, near Accrington, but was taken back.

But the following night he escaped again. When he returned to the family home in Birkenhead a relative contacted the authorities. Smith, who originally denied the murder changed his plea a week before the trial.

Health workers were told that at six years old Jamie Smith lived on the former Ford Estate and was traumatized after a gang of youths held him over a bonfire. His father drank heavily and the boy was placed in care at the age of nine after a family member contacted Wirral’s Social Services. He was housed in Croxteth and began to go to Liverpool city center clubs associating with older gangs.

While being cared for back in Wirral he was hospitalized after taking four ecstasy tablets. Aged 11 he was placed in Cumbria before he was moved after committing a robbery while back in Wirral.

In September 2007 he was moved to a care home in Haslingdon near Accrington..
A statement from one of Smith’s family which was read by the judge expressed condolences to the Crofts. It said that repeated requests were made to house the boy in a secure unit.

Latest articles