Volcano Causes Evacuation After Being Dormant 10 000 Years

Volcano Causes Evacuation After Being Dormant 10 000 Years On Thursday, May 1st, residents were evacuated from their town of Chaiten, in the country of Chile, due to the eruption of the 3, 550 foot Chaiten volcano, which has seemingly been in hibernation for 9, 000 to 10, 000 years.

The eruption triggered minor earthquakes throughout the region. The town of Chaiten is situated about 6 miles from the volcano.

Most residents were evacuated by authorities to schools and churches in the nearby cities of Puerto Montt and Castro. No more than 45 of the town’s 45, 000 inhabitants remained after the eruption. Those who chose to stay could be seen wearing face masks as they meandered amongst the trees, cars, and ground that was blanketed with a thick layer of ash.

"It is very difficult to predict when the people will be able to return," Interior Minister Edmundo Perez said. "This situation can last for days, or weeks - or longer."

And while smoke plumes reached 12 miles high, some peoples’ spirits aren’t.

"This could be the end of our town," community leader Leonardo Maureira told Radio Cooperativa of Santiago. "We have worked an entire life here and now all we could do was to put a few things in a bag and depart, leaving everything behind."

Others have another way of seeing it.

"We have to protect our investment," said Nelson Alderete, a small shopkeeper, as he watched his wife and daughter board a boat to Puerto Montt. "But if things get really ugly, I will leave."

Obviously causing havoc to residents of Chaiten, a town located 750 south of Chile’s capitol, Santiago, the volcano has presented problems for others, as well.

Winds carried the ash to neighboring towns and across the Andes Mountains to Argentina, provoking two airlines to cancel flights due to poor visibility.

While this unexpected event has affected many lives, Chaiten Mayor Jose Fritis said the town will not die.

"This has been a historic catastrophe for us, but we will rebuild from the ashes.

Latest articles