Gay Marriage Ban Rejected

Gay Marriage Ban Rejected The California Supreme Court denied a voter-approved ban on gay marriage Thursday in a ruling that would allow same-sex couples in the nation's biggest state to tie the knot.

"Domestic partnerships are not a good enough substitute for marriage," the justices ruled 4-3 in an opinion written by Chief Justice Ron George.

"Our state now recognizes that an individuals capacity to establish a loving and long-term committed relationship with another person and responsibly to care for and raise children does not depend upon the individuals sexual orientation," the court wrote.

two dozen gay and lesbian couples and gay rights groups sued in March 2004 after the court halted San Francisco's month long same-sex wedding march.

A coalition of religious and social conservative groups are trying to get together a petition to say that banning Gay marriage is against the state constitution

California already offers same-sex couples who register as domestic partners the same legal rights and responsibilities as married spouses, including the right to divorce and to sue for child support.

I say that banning same-sex marriage is very wrong. Who cares if God (In Christian/Catholic beliefs) hates homosexuality. It's "God" that makes you that way. It's not a choice. You're born with that mind set. It's not illegal for same-sex dating. They even have same-sex NEXT (dating show on MTV). So why should marriage be illegal?

Latest articles