9-11-2001

Some say that can't believe that seven years went by so fast.
I can. Seven years was a long time for me.
Lets start with where I was on September 11, 2001. 8 am.
I was in my fourth grade classroom. I remember what I was wearing, a white long sleeved t-shirt with a leporard print bear on it. And jeans.
My fourth-grade classroom was on the fifth floor and had the corner room. I live in Brooklyn by the way, one of the five boroughs.
I remember we were doing a small writing assiment, what I learned last year and what I wanted to learn. Then the janitor ran into our room since we had the perfect view of New York City. He tells our teacher that a plane crashed into the World trade Center. That's it. A plane crash and nothing else. I remember someone saying that who can be that stupid to crash into the Twin Towers. Oh how little did we know.
I remember saying to my friend that my dad worked in the Twin Towers. I remember he asked me which Tower and I said two. I remember after the second plane crashed and hearing a BOOM! My friend ran to the window and said. "Whoa the tower just fell!"
Then all you saw outside the windows were papers on fire. That's why my story, Doves on Fire, is called that. Since it happens after 9-11, I remembered that the white pieces of paper looked just like that, doves on fire.
Then the longest ten minutes of my life ever happen. Name after name was called down to go home. I was one of the first few.
I almost lost two people that day.
My dad did work in tower two. But he was late to work and got stuck in the subway. But me and my family didn't know that until later.
My best friend's mom also worked in the Twin Towers. She was right outside the building minutes before the plane crashed and remembered she needed apples. So she went into the deli not far from the towers. If she didn't remember she needed apples, my friend would be motherless.
I'm a liberal. I'm anti-war, anti-violence, and wish the world would have less hate. But I will never forget, nor will I ever forgive those people who changed my beloved city for the worst.

Unless you're from New York, Washington, or Pennsylvania, today is just probably another useless "holiday" [[ I use quotation marks because it's not really a holiday ]] you don't get off from school. But if you will, for everyone who died on September 11, 2001, say a silent prayer; if you're Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, or any religion; or if you're atheist, then a moment of silence.

Thank you.
September 12th, 2008 at 04:35am