Fantasy

A cool wind whipped at her legs sending goose bumps to her toes. It was getting colder. She shuddered looking up at the sky. The clouds that had been only a minor threat on the horizon that morning were now overhead. Dark and threatening, they rumbled loudly, seeming to shake the ground.
He looked at her a smirk forming across his face. “Not a fan of thunderstorms?”
She shook her head and shivered as the sky roared again. It was getting closer. He put his arms around her and laughed lightly. “Don’t be scared,” he whispered in her ear.

There was another loud crack of thunder and it began to rain. Not so heavy that it hurt, but not lightly either. She shivered and rested her head on his chest, absorbing his warmth. He held her tightly chin on top of her head. She closed her eyes and exhaled heavily, resting her head on his chest. The water fell on top of their heads soaking them both from head to toe in a manner of minutes. Neither of them were phased much about the wet.
They stood there for ages holding each other while the water fell from the sky around them. Softly he began to hum to himself the sound vibrating through his body and transferring through to hers. It was comforting, somehow. They swayed along to the sound together, still embracing each other tightly. The sound and movement began to warm her from head to toe.
She was finding it hard to be scared at all. Right now the sound of the thunder was only a background noise to the gentle humming. Her fear had taken a backstage to the comfort she felt in his arms. She had forgotten her hate for the cold and wet. Her hate for the way the water socked her feet. Her hate for the way the wind bit bitterly at ones cold face. She even forgot how much the shocking sound of lightening and thunder taking over the skies had scared her. All of this she forgot.
Soon she found herself humming along to his voice as they swayed in the rain. Their voices were quiet, but the sound of them flowing together was unmistakeable. They seemed to compliment each other creating a perfect melody.
Then it steadied. The thunder began to roll away and the rain had become lighter than before. More peaceful. With this sudden change, they too found their humming had stopped. Even though she didn’t want it to stop she knew that their embrace was coming to an end. Shyly she opened her eyes and looked up at his face. That handsome face and those magnificent blue eyes, coloured like the ocean. He looked back at her and nodded.
Gently he pulled the tangle of her wet hair away from her face exposing her neck. He kissed it softly and their eyes locked once again. He laughed again. The rain had indeed soaked them through. She could feel her clothes sticking to her skin and her hair to the back of her neck and cringed. His clothes were much the same his shirt clinging to his chest handsomely and his hair dripping down on his face. She reached up and wiped the last of the rain clear from his cheek.
He closed his eyes for a brief moment the warmth flooding evidently to his cheeks. Slowly he opened them and started to stroke her hair, untangling it and keeping his eyes on her face. “You look gorgeous,” he sighed. She however did not blush or even smile back at him. She merely nodded absorbing the look on his face. He seemed calm, content even and it warmed her.
Then leaning in she closed her eyes, pressing her lips softly against his. Neither wanting to part the kiss lasted almost as long as the downpour had. When they finally parted she could now feel the warmth flooding to her cheeks. He smirked at her kissing her cheek quickly.
“Were you scared?” He asked.
She found herself laughing, “not a chance.”
“So, you like thunderstorms now?”
She shook her head laughter still quaking through her body. “I didn’t say I like them. I just said I wasn’t scared of them.”
“And you were scared of them before?”
“As funny as it sounds, yes.”
He grinned smugly. “Only because I was here,”
She brushed her lips against his cheek and murmured in repeat. “Only because you were here.”
September 13th, 2008 at 11:10am