Duke of Edinburgh Hike

Another hike.
Very painful, and tiring.
We hiked for two days in the Glenbrook area of the Blue Mountains. It was a two day hike, meaning we had to camp out.

This hike was a last minute decision for me, so I originally didn't want to go. I had to get up really early, because needed te extra time incase we got lost on the way. We all had to be at the park by 9 am. I was there at 8.

I had to carry a 10 kilo pack, which is really heavy. We had just climbed a bit, and I broke down in tears, because the pain (which turned out that my socks had cause my feet to overheat) was too unbearible.

With a little encuragement by fellow peers, and teacher, I managed to push on, and make it to the campsite by 4 ish. We suspected we'd get there by 6, but since we were doing very good for time; 500 metres every 5 minutes, we managed to have 2 extra hours to laze aroun, and would be able to set camp up in the light.

When night fall came, and we had dinner, we started having interesting conversations around the campfire. We then decided that we would make our way into the tent. It was decided earlier that we would all sleep in one tent, and the packs would be in the other. So we had to fit 8 people in a 4 man tent. It was very hot in it, therefore we didn't need to rug up.

That night we made various prank calls. It was very hilarious.

By morning the next day, the heat that radiated from our body heat, managed to make condensation form the coldness from outside.

We continued the hike until we came to a cliff. We climbed down one by bush bashing. Turns out the cliff we were supposed to climb, was too unsafe, meaning we had to re-climb the one we went down. We then retraced our track until we reached the car. We then got a car ride to Euroka clearing.

It was pure bliss not having to walk. We then hiked the side of a hill, and through a track. We came to the windy that that led to the causeway. We managed to climb the steep hill, to our parents. When I got into my car, I was relieved that I managed to hike all that way.
September 14th, 2008 at 10:58am