Top 25 Favorite Songs

I was thinking today about the songs that have changed my life. I wanted to do the top ten, but then that led to top 15, which then went on to top 20, and finally 25.

These are my all time favorite. Feel free to listen. And I'd love to know yours too.

Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect- The Decemberists
This song is all about failing to have your dreams realized. Best lyric "But you my soiled teenage girlfriend/ while you furrow like a lioness/and we are vagabonds/we travel without seatbelts on/to live this close to death" Beautiful.

It's Not-Aimee Mann
This is my ultimate depressive song. It's heartbreaking, sad, and I understand it utterly and completely. It's about people letting you down, and having to be someone you aren't. My mom got me into Aimee Mann when I was going through a hard time, and I have memories of singing it in the car with her, both of us crying.

Yellow-Coldplay
God, who wouldn't want this song sung to them? His voice is dreamy, the lyrics are to die for, and this is the reason I love Coldplay and will always love Coldplay.

Red Right Ankle-The Decemberists
I went to see Colin Meloy (the lead singer) in concert. He sang this song, which is about his redheaded girlfriend, and I was with a guy I was crazy about, and this was the first time he held my hand. It was simple and sweet and changed us from best friends to something more. The feelings didn't last with each other, but I still feel that same thrill whenever I hear it.

1979-Smashing Pumpkins
Not only is this song a falshback to basically every summer of my life, the music video is epic, and someday I want to live that day.

Adventures in Solitude-The New Pornographers
So beautiful and sad, it makes me want to cry. Plus the last minute=sex.

Maps-Yeah Yeah Yeahs
One of the most beautiful songs ever. "Wait, they don't love you like I love you"-who hasn't felt that? Plus the music video is so simple, and yet perfect, see the tear? She cries! Come on!

Gravity Rides Everything-Modest Mouse
I was driving to the grocery store, and I was flipping out about College and what I was going to do, what I was going to do, etc. And I had my ipod on shuffle, and this song came on. And it was just what I wanted to hear. I listened to it about 50x in three days. "Everything will fall right into place" Thank god.

Ophelia-Natalie Merchant
Her voice is beautiful, I want to steal it. I love it because it reminds me of my mom, and I want to be all the girls in here. This is the reason I want to nmae my kid Ophelia. This song.

Karma Police-Radiohead
While Radiohead is genius in general, this song is epic. It's got drums, piano, violins and the ending, where it falls abpart is genius. I never get tired of it. One of my brothers and I's favorite.

Wonderwall-Oasis
I stand by the fact that if a boy sings me this song well, with a guitar, I have to marry him. I listen to this song wayyyy too much. And so should you.

Starlight-Muse
This song is the reason I like Muse, and its just an awesome song. My brother and I listened t it non stop when we found it. "And our hopes and expectations/black holes and revelations" for some reason I adore this line.

The Crane Wife 3-The Decemberists
I love how this song builds, and its part three of a three part story retelling of the Crane Wife, and while all of them are beautiful, this song is the best. It builds and builds, and when I'm alone I sing it non stop. It's beautiful.

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi-Radiohead
More brilliance from Radiohead. Listen to it, and you'll understand. "I get eaten by the world/and weird fishes" Yes, yes, and more yes.

Viva la Vida-Coldplay
I've got a confession. I first listened to this late at night in my bed during the summer, and I cried. That's how much it moved me. Every lyric is genius and the string part is to die for.

The Bleeding Heart Show-The New Pornographers
Although I still have no clue what this song is about, it's incredible and the whole reason I started listening to indie music in the first place. The build, the lyrics, Neko's voice...I can't even describe it. It just keeps building until the end, and it makes you feel so free almost. If that makes sense.

Summer, Highland Falls-Billy Joel
If you don't love Billy Joel, go die. Seriously. This song is my favorite of his, but only by a little bit. :)

Rebellion(Lies)-Arcade Fire
I love Arcade Fire with a passion. I love what this song has to say about society, I love how it makes you want to dance, and when I saw them live, with everyone screaming and dancing along, it became one of my ultimate favorites. They are brilliance.

Losing My Religion-R.E.M.
This song is one of my parents favorites. It reminds me of my childhood, and all in all, it's just a damn good song.

Mykonos-Fleet Foxes
This song is so weird, and folky, but I love it. Wait until about 2:25. It's so good. I like to sing it. And it makes me happy.

Tonight, Tonight-Smashing Pumpkins
I love how sad this song makes you feel. It's so bittersweet, not to mention it has the best music video EVER.

Marching Bands of Manhatten-Death Cab for Cutie
Ahhh, Death Cab, used to be so good, before they went and sold out and all these poser indie teens thought they were cool for listening to them. But this song is beautiful, and I adore the lyrics. Come on, "Sorrow drips into your heart, through a pinhole, just like a faucet that leaks, but while you debate half empty or half full, it slowly rises, your love is going to drown."? Perfection.

MassRomantic-The New Pornographers
Ahh! My screen name! How could it not be one of my favorites? Neko's voice is so strong, and if it doesn' make you want to dance, then I don't know what will.

Your Ex-Lover is Dead-Stars
Firstly, the title is great, the lyrics are the perfect breakup song and Amy Millan's voice? Can you say wonderful? Listen, listen, and listen some more.

The Zephyr Song-Red Hot Chili Peppers
I like the RHCP best when they sing songs like this, rather than their more screaming stuff. For a while my mom and I listened to this pretty much everyday, and I remember coming home from shopping one day and singing it, just me and her. I love that.

And now, you, I want to know about yours.

Oh, and try these out, you won't be disappointed.
Promise
September 25th, 2008 at 08:11am