Halloween and all that jazz.

'Kay so Australia isn't really one for celebrating Halloween. Which is rather shite, in my opinion, but then again, my opinion really isn't one you want to follow.
But despite this, and despite my general reluctance for horror movies [some but not all], I have a soft spot for Halloween. There's free candy, you get to dress up and slather yourself with fake blood, if you so desire, and nobody looks twice. Or they do, but for the right reasons. [My mother has forbidden me from wearing anything bloodstained outside the house.]

And even though lately I've got a bunch of school work to do [despite it being the holidays] lately I've been feeling rather crap [illnesses, school work, etc.] so I don't feel like doing what I'm meant to, and instead do what I want to do. Which brings me to these. [Password is handie] During my time spent wandering the internets, I found a few good Halloween tutorials, but they're always either really expensive, or needlessly complicated.
So, in the spirit of things [whichever spirit, doesn't really matter] I said 'screw you, I'm using a newspaper and stickytape.'

And thus my pretties were born. They took about 2 hours each, I think. I sit myself in front of the TV with a newspaper, little roll of stickytape, and a pair of scissors and go to town. My mum keeps saying that they're 'art with found objects' [and yet she objects to the blood?] and my brother likes to try to creep me out with them by sticking them down his sleeves and pretending he's the grim reaper. Although he has the problem of them both being right-handed, so that looks a tad strange.

But what I want to do now is make my 'eye-tree' using some method similar to the skeleton hands, but more durable, because if it's lifesize, it has to go outside. I can't find the original drawing atm, but it's the tree with the eye on my profile picature. Maybe chicken-wire and paper-mache pulp?
Also; should I paint the hands, or keep them newspaper coloured and shiny?

ANDANDAND:
I'm going to steal Emily and keep her with me all the time because she wrote me the best review ever. :con:
September 29th, 2008 at 03:44pm