So I've survived my first month at college!

When I chose this college, the only downside for me was that all freshmen have to live on campus, because if I had a choice I would live off campus. I put my hopes in getting one of the few single rooms available. No luck. I was allocated a double room and the thought of sharing with someone didn't sit well with me. I became convinced that my room-mate wouldn't like me. Not only that, I was put on an all-girl floor, and I get on better with guys then I do girls. I grew up with seven brothers - three older, two twin and two younger - so it's not surprising I get on better with guys.

So even before move in day, I was convinced my college experience was going to suck, but I was so wrong!

My room-mate E is fantastic. We have lots of things in common, and even where we don't, it's great to hear about each other's different interests. I don't want to give the impression we've suddenly become lifelong friends, because such friendships take time to build up, but so far so good.

I'm coping with life on the all-girl floor too. There are social areas where we can hang out, so I've made a few guy friends as well, so that's helped me settle in too. Although I would moan to others about being the only girl of eight children, I actually really like it, and I get on well with my brothers (most of the time). That's why it's important for me to have guy friends here.

The volume of work has been rather overwhelming, although thankfully I'm organized, so I've coped. I know it will get worse as I get further into my studies, so if I couldn't cope now, I'd never cope.

It's not all smiles though. I miss my mom and dad (but I won't tell them that). I miss my brothers. I especially miss A and N, who are my twin brothers. They are both at other colleges in Massachusetts but not close enough for me to see that often. I miss my best friend S, who has gone to college in another state (Illinois).

I don't get to see my boyfriend M as often as I'd like too either and he's also at a college in Boston! So we're in the same city, but with our workloads and differing schedules, we're only seeing each other every other day.

However, I guess accepting things can't always stay the same is part of growing up, and I know it will all be worth it in the end.

One of my older brothers told me the first month at college is the worst, in terms of settling in and adjusting, so I'm just glad I got through it!

Now I'm starting to feel more settled, maybe I can actually start enjoying myself now!
October 2nd, 2008 at 07:37pm