College Essay

So this is my personal statement for college and I was hoping that I could get feedback on it. I would love if people could read it and tell me what you think.

When people first meet me, I am usually seen as the stereotypical blonde. I am tall and thin, enjoy fashion and make-up, and contain too much energy. Even though all this is true, I cannot be put into any one category.

My true passion in life is to be a math teacher. My inspiration was my 6th and 7th grade math teacher. Not only did he teach me the basics of Algebra that I needed, he also taught me to love math. Everyone that’s passed through his class loved him. What made him such a great teacher was the fact that he was organized, knew exactly what he was talking about, and would make sure everyone understood exactly what they needed to know. I want to bring the same inspiration to people that he brought to me.

Even though math is part of my passion, you can’t categorize me as a math geek either. I never joined the math team, or any scholastic bowl type clubs. After school, I always go to one place, the performing arts wing. Whether it is for choir or technical theater that is where I find many of my friends, and what I truly love to do.

Music has always played a huge part of my life. I started singing when I was little, and have never wanted to stop. I am currently an alto section leader in my school’s top choir, Concert Choir, and a part of Blue Notes, the school’s show choir. I take voice lessons once a week, missing out on my lunch, to improve what I love to do. Singing isn’t the only form my love for music comes in, though. I have taken piano lessons since I was six years old, and now
have the opportunity to teach others.

During summer and other school breaks, though, I take a break from music and head outdoors. I have always loved nature and other outdoor activities. When I was nine, I went to an overnight summer camp for the first time. It was a Girl Scout camp and our days were filled with hiking, swimming, canoeing, and so many other activities. That summer, I fell in love with the camp, and went back every year for seven years, sometimes for 3 weeks at a time. For my last two years there, I became a Counselor In Training. I was able to teach and younger girls in the activities that I myself learned at the camp only a few years ago. This experience was also one of my first times working with people younger than me and I loved it. It only enforced my passion for becoming a teacher.

A favorite outdoor sport of mine is skiing. My parents first taught me how to when I was only three. Since then, every year my family has taken a trip to Michigan, and, as I got better, out to Colorado or Utah. As I grow older, I have found that I have also inherited my parent’s love for travel, which took us to these different places in the winter. One of my goals in life is to travel everywhere. Many people think this is an exaggeration, but there is not a single place I don’t want to go.

Passing on my love for the piano and the outdoors is one of many indications of why I want to go into education. I know from experience that there is nothing like showing and teaching others about a passion you have. It is the same thing with math. I want to inspire people, especially other girls, that they can do anything they want, even math.

<3 Lex
October 5th, 2008 at 10:57pm