NJ GSA FOURM

Please give these lovely people round of applause

Robbinsville High School of New Jersey finished a job well done at the Central New Jersey GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) Forum of October 18, 2008, it sadly came to a close at 8:00 pm. After hours of hard work started from 7:00 am that morning they have continued to set up, clean up, direct, educate and create ally’s. After International Ally week (A week where members of school/collage or group GSA’s talk about and create ally’s or friends that are willing to learn and support the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender so on and so forth groups) they hosted a huge GSA forum full of workshops and a safe environment for people to come and be friends and ally’s without fear. An ally is a friend that (just like a lot of other people), searching and hoping to create a place that people are accepted by all!
GSA’s from schools all around New Jersey gathered in the common area of the high school to meet other fellow GBLT (Gay, Bisexual, Lesbian, Trans gender) ally’s and friends from around their own schools and others around the state. Some traveled ten minutes and some traveled for an hour and a half to come to this amazing event. Throughout the day they went to work shops that talked about many very serious issues.

• Coming Out
• Creating, Buliding & Maintaining, Alliances for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transsexual Community.
• Life After High School- Coming Out and Getting Involved
• Transgender Role Models

Those are just some of the many workshops and discussed topics that were spoken about today. As a member of the Robbinsville High School GSA I am proud to say that I am a straight ally and am very happy that things turned out so well today. Many, many people come to show that they cared and were passionate about their beliefs by coming here today and I think that by people coming to the forums, it will enlighten them and help them feel safe when they might not in their own home or school community. The Robbinsville GSA are happy to be there so that we can provide a save environment where people can have fun and be themselves with out fear of being discriminated or teased. Many of the GSA members are also part of the school play with just so happens to be “The Laramie Project” Which is about a boy named Mathew Sheppard who was kidnapped and beaten to death because he was gay. On behalf of the members of the RHS GSA we thank you for taking the time to read this, to anyone who came to the forum today to help or be a friend and ally, and to anyone who is an ally or friend to everyone no matter what their sexual orientation is.

Thank you all so much!
October 22nd, 2008 at 12:21am