Homeschooling Myths Explained

Because I am:
-homeschooled
-sick of people trashing homeschoolers with no good reason
-bored half to death,

and with the inspiration provided by my friend Lee's journal, I have decided to create a journal about the myths based on homeschooling. Now, before I get my hair and non-existent kahoonas ripped out, I would like to make a few things clear.

1. I have gone to public school before, and private school, for that matter.
Therefore, let us not have any of the "ZOMG WTF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE!" hooblab. In return, I suggest that unless you have been homeschooled yourself, don't diss homeschooling. It's only fair, sugar boogers.

2. This journal is intended to be humorous in parts.
Totally. Who says you can't have a sense of humor while being serious (outside of the dictionary)?!

3. I am aware that not all public schoolers diss/put down homeschoolers.
Yeah, I'm not stupid enough to say that all public schoolers diss homeschoolers because I actually know this is not the case. However, where I live, 99.9% of the public schoolers DO diss homeschoolers. The big uninformed, uneducated, close-minded, hormone-filled potato sacks.

Now, on to the debunkifying! Yow!

Myth #1: Homeschoolers live in villages that provide no sunlight, air, water, or communication devices such as telephones, computers, or mass media. They are forever entrapped by their overprotective parental units and encased in a box with their twenty-four other siblings with two more on the way. Two more "buns in the oven," that is.
Well, this is obviously not true. Duhhh. If we had no sunlight, air, water, or telephones, there would be no way to possibly humanly live. Or call in a pizza on a Saturday night.

Hey, in all seriousness, this is a myth. I'm outside more often than I'm inside, really. I can do my school work outside if I want. Of course, right now, it's forty-three degrees outside and studying out there would make me freeze every single one of my asswhiskers off, but in the spring and summer or on a warm day, it's a possibility. Plus, for me, I live right down the road from the park -- can you say let's get our study on?

Myth #2: Homeschoolers don't socialize.
I'd like to meet the uneducated assketeer that came up with this one! This one just plainly pisses me off because it's not true, it's stupid, and I'll lay you five dollars the person that came up with this myth is the chairman of a school board where the homeschooling population has risen to a higher number than the public schooled population. Out of a job much?

But no, this one isn't true. In fact, there are groups especially for homeschoolers in many areas, and the number of these groups is growing by the day. Also, in a homeschooling environment, kids can learn how to associate with both adults and kids. Additionally, I think it's rather unfair to claim that all homeschoolers can't socialize. I would imagine that it would depend on how shy/outgoing the person is. Personally, I was more shy in public school than I am now. I'm one of the most outgoing people ever -- I'll carry on with you in public even if I don't KNOW you. I love to laugh and make people laugh -- I'm outgoing, and that's the type of person I am. So there's that myth shot down.

Myth #3: Homeschoolers can't graduate/MUST get a GED, or fail at life. LOL LOSER FOR BEING HOMESCHOOLED.
"To receive a Keystone National High School diploma, you'll need to earn a total of 21 units of credit between grades 9-12. You can transfer up to 16 credits in from another program to Keystone. The remaining five credits (one in each core subject area and one elective) must be earned at Keystone."

The above is quoted directly from the homeschooling company where I get my curriculum -- Keystone National High School. In fact, click here to visit the page on my school's website. You might be surprised.

Myth #4: Homeschoolers are awesome because they can do school work in their pajamas.
Teehee, one myth I can't debunkify. This one's totally true; however, I have been homeschooled for five years and have yet to actually do my school work in my pajamas o_o. I get up every morning at 7, shower, get dressed, eat breakfast, etc. and get started at 9 in the morning. I take a one hour break from 12-1 for lunch, and go back until 4. Then, my day is over.

Myth #5: Homeschoolers don't learn as much as public schoolers/there's no way to tell if homeschoolers are getting their work done.
Actually, that depends on the state in which you live. In my state, homeschoolers are monitored very closely. In other words, they make it harder than hell to homeschool and it's a great big fat pain in the ass because the school board has to know when you get up in the morning, when you take your daily dump, when you break to piss, shit and pick your nose, and when you fall asleep and drool during boring-assed history class. Where I live, my mom has to write a letter to the board, informing them of her intent to homeschool me, and ALL of my work (that's right, ALL of it, kiddies) has to be reviewed by a certified portfolio evaluator that is appointed by the state. It is this certified teacher that writes a letter to the board telling them my progress for the year.

And yes, this evaluator costs money. Go figure.

Myth #6: If you are homeschooled, you are disabled/stupid/mentally challenged/too mean for public school/religious.
I am homeschooled. I have two arms, two legs, one head, two eyes -- the basic stuff. I can walk, run, do all that stuff. Not disabled in the least.

I have earned an award for getting nothing but 100s in math. It was a plaque that was given to me when I attended a private school, and the plaque was created especially for the occasion as it had never been accomplished before. I was in private school, sure, but I'm trying to point out that not all homeschoolers are mentally challenged and stupid.

I am one of the most polite people ever, despite what you may think by now. I respect my elders (in contrast to 99.9% of public schoolers, might I add), I say "please" and "thank you," and also the oh-so-important "excuse me," and that kind of thing. I wasn't kicked out of public school; I opted out. Thank God.

I have never been to church before.

There, that myth = gone.

I could go on, but it's getting late and my boredom has now been cured. If you actually read this without falling asleep, kudos to you!

And I'm out.
October 28th, 2008 at 02:02am