Driver's License

I'm turning 18 next week. In Sweden (where I live), that means I can get my driver's license.

Seriously, what is it about driver's ed instructors and refusing to tell you whether you're doing something right or not? I've been driving with this nice and friendly woman for a week and she says that there is hope for me, and that it'll work out - but how am I supposed to believe her when my self-confidence depends on the feeling that I'm good at what I'm doing?
Let me explain.
Driving with my stepfather = immediate success. He tells me what I'm doing wrong, but also tells me how amazing I am when I do something good, like looking over my shoulder before changing lanes.
Driving with Frida = not so immediately successful. I've told her that it doesn't hurt if she tells me when I've done something good, but she just keeps quiet.
I suppose I have to assume that when she's quiet, I'm doing good - but my imagination is far too vivid. What if she think's I'm a terrible driver, and just doesn't want to hurt my feelings by telling me?

Are there instructors like this in other parts of the world, by the way? Or is it just the Swedish ones who behave like this?...
November 2nd, 2008 at 01:01am