How Could You, California? Proposition 8, really?

Well, another election has passed, and I am generally satisfied with all of the decisions California has have made for itself. All of them, except for one: Proposition 8. I am quite disappointed, California, at the fact that you chose to take away a right from people who have done nothing wrong.

Religion, you say? Religion tells us that marriage is a sacred bond shared exclusively by man and woman?Please, show me in religious text where it explicitly says man shall only marry woman. I may be in the wrong here, but I have only known of implication and interpretation of said “rule.” EDIT: "The bible says 'thou shalt not lie with mankind as with woman kind: it is an abomination', basically that all gays are totally evil and will bring about the end of the world... I find it amusing that people would hang onto this comment but completely leave out that the Bible ALSO tells us to sell our daughters into slavery, marry them to their rapists, kill those that work on Sundays, eat shellfish and wear clothes of mixed fabrics. These people need to get into more of their New Testament and learn a bit about judging others." -Thanks for the correction and insight, pandorasbox. Even so, I do believe that we have established the separation of church and state quite some time ago. So, for those arguing that gay marriage goes against what the Bible teaches, your points should hold no validity in terms of our state constitution.

Then, there are the people who claim schools will begin teaching about gay marriage at elementary schools, corrupting young children, if this proposition does not pass. What some forget is that the proposition is an amendment to our constitution, so we have technically been “No” this whole time. What does that have to do with anything? Basically, if it does not pass, schools will not suddenly start teaching about gay marriage. They were not doing so before the election, and they will not begin to do so after the election, no matter the result. What is comical about this particular situation is the fact that “Yes on Prop 8” ads have probably taught children about same sex marriage more than any school has or would have; ironically, the ads have accomplished what they were preaching against.

I would just like to know what rationale is behind the “Yes” campaign. Discrimination is hateful, and one of the sadder things is that there were probably Prop 8 supporters who themselves have been discriminated against: perhaps because of race and skin color, gender, or even untraditional marriages. Why put people through hardships that have already been unjustly faced before? We’ve moved on from those and proved to be accepting, so can we not skip the step of prejudice right to acceptance? I thought we were ready but apparently not.

I was too young to vote for in this election, as were the majority of my peers, but sometimes, it seems like we are the ones who know the issues more wholly than those who are only concerned with their biased views and opinions.

Civil rights apply to everyone, not who you think deserves them. That is what being an American is about, including in California.

So, to the 52.5% of Californians who voted “Yes,” congratulations on the passing of the proposition.

And to the remaining 47.5%, thank you for fighting for a right that should be denied to no one, whether it was for yourself, for a friend, for a loved one, or for a group of people who are just trying to live up to their dreams and aspirations despite the prejudices they may face. I am there with you in the fight against the passage.

EDIT: I actually am a Californian and, obviously, advocate for "No on H8TE."
November 6th, 2008 at 01:58am