My Restricted- Oops I mean- "Creative" Writing class

So, as a lot of my friends know, I'm taking a "Creative" Writing class this semester. "Creative" is in quotation marks because, as my title implies- it's not. It's based completely around strict forms of writing, with very little room for interpretation. The styles of writing our teacher's teaching us are a kindof outdated and overall cliched. Funny thing is, we had a lesson about cliches and how to avoid them; I expected her to be showing us new and inventive ways of writing: she talked for an hour and a half about the use of common phrases like "taking candy from a baby" or "keep your eye on the ball". Plus, we're on our poetry unit now..... I have a lot to about the way she's teaching it and I'm thinking it may take another journal entry. All I can say for now is that one of the lessons involved using mad libs in an attempt to write poetry. It was painful.
People keep telling me to try and look at it in a positive light, and I have done that a bit: I've accepted the fact that it's forcing me to write- but part of the problem is just that. A lot of what I get out that class feels so forced I'm ashamed to call it writing. Anyway, I know I should try to stay positive about about it, but it's really hard when you're just writing for the grade. That's all.
November 10th, 2008 at 01:24am