Poetry, Music, and Theatre

At my high school we have two amazing clubs. Both of which consist of being a pervert. But it's all in fun. Also, we have an amazing theatre program in our school, our fall play just ended, I was in it for the first time this year. (though I had done stage crew every other year)

The first one is Literary Society. We bullshit a lot and we have fun. Every meeting we talk about fundraising an shit like that. But then we get to the fun stuff. Reading our work. Most of the time it's poetry, but every so often we get a segment of a story. We critique and it makes you feel so good, cause you're surrounded by people who are so understanding and have been through similar things. And our main goal every year is... a poetry slam. It is a competition but the people in it are so non-competitive. There are cash prizes, large crowd routing you on and a panel of judges. Scoring 1-10. All the people in it recite original work only. It's the most fun you could have. This year will be my third year in it, and though I've never won it, I still love to do it cause it lets me show people who I am and how I feel and think. It can get nerve wracking but in the end, you feel so.... free.

The second is something totally different from any club in the USA. Songwriters club. We meet nearly everyday. Our objective is to make a CD of only original work. Then have a concert. This year I'm in charge of a lot. I'm helping with the stage set up for the concert, finding a cheap, but good, record company to record the CD, find a cheap laser light show for the concert, fundraising ideas and writing/ composing lyrics and keyboard parts.

And lastly, theatre. Another love of mine. This year we did the play (note, our school has two plays a year: Fall- drama, Spring-Musical) Cyrano de Bergerac. For all who don't know what the fuck that is, you may know Roxanne with Steve Martin in it or the song Roxanne by The Police. Anyway, this year I decided to try out. I only got a small part in the play, but I still got in it. Mind you I was in the first two acts only, but I came everyday during the practices I didn't need to go to and took pictures of them. I also did extra stuff for the directors and costume designer. I was highly dedicated to it. In the end we had an amazing show and made a shit load of new friends. Because of doing all the extra stuff for the play, I got asked to be student director, so now next year (though I can't be in it) I'm casting and directing the play and I'm so happy.
November 20th, 2008 at 11:08pm