Twilight rant.

-if you're familiar with the fanfiction writing world, you know the term mary sue. here's a definition, if you don't:
a character, usually the main one, that is perfect in almost every aspect, to the point where it's ridiculous. usually an ideal version of the author.
bella is the biggest mary sue i've ever read-and that includes the famous "Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way" of my immortal-a troll harry potter fanfiction. Bella swans name even means beautiful swan. ew.

-take a look at smeyer. then listen to this description of bella i found-from smeyer's lips to mine:
"Bella is very fair-skinned, with long, straight, dark brown hair and chocolate brown eyes. Her face is heart-shaped—a wide forehead with a widow's peak, large, wide-spaced eyes, prominent cheekbones, and then a thin nose and a narrow jaw with a pointed chin. Her lips are a little out of proportion, a bit too full for her jaw line. Her eyebrows are darker than her hair and more straight than they are arched. She's five foot four inches tall, slender but not at all muscular, and weighs about 115 pounds. She has stubby fingernails because she has a nervous habit of biting them. And there's your very detailed description.''
it's pretty much smeyer minus 50 pounds and eight years.

-edward sparkles?! what the hell?! they aren't diamonds, for god's sake.

-it sounds like a 12 year old's bad fanfic. i'm an amateur writer-and when i say amateur, i mean INCREDIBLY amateur. and I COULD FREAKING DO BETTER.

-how did edward get bella pregnant? he's been dead for about 90 years, right? he has no body fluids-well, i suppose it makes sense to smeyer, considering this author also seems to think that vampires are made of DIAMONDS.

-"Renesmee Carlie cullen" is basically a demon child. she tries to kill bella from the inside out, drinking her uterus blood and breaking her ribs, spine, and pelvis.

-bella PASSES OUT while having sex with edward because it hurts so bad. what the hell?! and he KEEPS GOING?! i'm pretty sure that's called rape.

-the fucking werewolf jacob FALLS IN LOVE WITH THE BABY.. and only has to wait 7 years to marry/screw her. wtf.

-edward stalks bella before they're all in luv*~. what. the. hell. he even ADMITS to it. to watching her sleep at night through her window. -.- its disturbing is all.

-renesmee grows super-fast; which is ironic since vampires aren't supposed to age, so it proves the author doesn't even know her own mythology.

- The excruciating attempts at making the readers relate to Bella. She's average-looking, the book says. Repeat: AVERAGE-LOOKING. You got that? AVERAGE. And Smeyer won't let us forget it. It's one big scream of, "Look, girls! You're insecure and think you're ugly, well Bella thinks she's ugly too!Pretend you're Bella!"

- The 'convenience' of everything. Predominantly I'm thinking of Jacob in this. I haven't read the book more than a few chapters, so correct me if I'm wrong: the whole love triangle would have ended with Jacob being screwed over since Bella chose Edward, but no! A good character can't be unhappy! Oh, wait! Bella's daughter magically ages so Jacob can have sex with her really soon and live happily ever after as well!

This isn't bashing, so I don't want anyone to say it is. It's me, putting my opinion into words with reasons backing it up.

Now I want your opinion.
-Do you like twilight? Why/Why not? (Bonus points for actual REASONS.)
-How old are you?
-What gender are you?
(The last two questions because I want to know if it's really just teenaged girls who love twilight.

Edited to remove profanity.
November 23rd, 2008 at 07:52pm