The Price of Being Nice

We all love nice people; it's a given. They are pleasant. They help us when we need it. But most of all, they never ask for anything in return. Or do they?

In a world of natural selection, and the survival of the fittest, being a nice person is a horrible existence to suffer through. As a nice person, you give and give and give of yourself. But what do you get in return? Do you ever even get a 'thank you'? Even that simple gesture would be appreciated.

It's not fun being nice. I would know. I am overly kind to the people around me, mainly my friends and family. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends and family to death and would do anything for them. But that's the problem: I do anything for them. And I don't get a whole lot in return. I'm not complaining, but receiving even a tiny shred of kindness in return for what I do would really make me happy.

In the end, I guess it really doesn't matter. I will still be nice to my friends and family, and I will still receive very little (if anything) in return. I've come to realize that now, and there isn't much I can do, short of becoming a total bitch and doing nothing for anybody but myself. But I won't do that, because I don't want to lose the ones I love. That's just the price of being nice.
November 29th, 2008 at 08:18pm