Life is not like a roller coaster

“Life is like a roller coaster”

I've always hated that saying. Sure life has its up and downs, it's moments of fear and pleasure, But if those are the standards we're going by then hell, we might as well be saying “Life is like sex.”
To me life is like a roller coaster was and is an easy way of describing life, a lazy way, but convenient. It's an overused phrase that doesn't exactly quite cut it when it comes to describing life as a whole. In fact it's so overused that whenever I hear it, it makes me think of cheesy love songs or old sitcoms where the writers were trying to make the script sound 'deep'.

Life is not like a roller coaster. Life is more like.. a puddle.
Yes, a puddle.
Why a puddle?

Life is made up of little things, things that contribute to making your life bigger. Like raindrops to a puddle. Your life may consist of family, friends, music, school, etc. those are the raindrops to your puddle of life. Now I'm starting sounding like mufasa from Lion King with his “Circle of life” explanation..

Puddles and Circles are not the same thing. Circle=food chain, Puddle=life.

Although puddles are made up of different raindrops, all puddles pretty much look the same. Your life is not unique. We're not unique. Sure we don't look the same and don't have the same finger prints or personalities, but we are the same no matter what, we're all human, we all have feelings, and we all die.

All puddles dry up.

Then we have those days when someone steps in our puddle and causes it to overflow. Those times are what could be considered the 'up and down' times of the roller coaster analogy. Although again the roller coaster saying just doesn't quite cut it in this instance because when a puddle is stepped in some of it is left behind and some of it reforms. Just like when something tragic on your life happens, you may loose something entirely or re-group after time.
All in all I guess I was just tired of hearing the generic saying. So when someone tells you “Life is like a roller coaster.” You can correct them and say “No, life is like a puddle.”
December 3rd, 2008 at 05:02am