Cast Nightmare

Okay so i'm doing advanced higher art this year and part of my course is to make 2 pieces of body ornament so today i decided to make my bracelet/arm piece. This should have been a fairly simple and easy thing to do but not today.

My friend Lauren had started wrapping the modrock ( basically like the cast you get when you break your arm) around my arm and everything was fine till we realised we only had an hour left until the end of the day and the cast still had to dry and be cut off. To save time we asked ione of the guys, Mark, to help. Being the nice guy he is he stopped what he was doing and came over to help. The thing we didn't notice was how thick the cast was becoming and how tight it was.

Eventually they stopped and the cast was left on my arm to heat up then cool down to dry. This thing weighed a ton, i physically couldn't lift my arm. I was becoming dizzy from the weight of the cast and the temperature of the art class so was relieved when my teacher said that it was dry enough to cut it off.

Lauren began to cut the cast only to discover it was too think for the scissors to cut through....by then the teacher was getting worried that we wouldn't be able to get it off and i'd have to go to hospital to get it removed properly til she comes up with the idea to use a 6inch knife from their staffroom to cut through the layers to pull the cast off.

Needless to say i was pretty freaked oput when she wanders in to the room looking worried with this knife then proceeds to slide it under the cast to cut from the inside =/ By this times the rest of my class and the higher class are watching and freaking me out more by their reactions. The other art teacher in th mean time is giggling away and filming the cast being removed until the head of art wanders in and almost faints.

Finally the cast was cut enough to rip it off but not soon enough to avoid scratches on my skin........while this is going on a boy in the other class manages to get his fingers stuck through the handles on a pair of scissors.

All in all an eventful day in my art class!
December 5th, 2008 at 04:21pm