If a Tree Falls and No One is Around to Hear it...Does it Make a Sound?

...And if every living creature dies, will existence itself cease to be?
They're both rhetorical questions...and they each have a deeper meaning for me.
It's something I've been contemplating for a while now...
Let's say, for example, that the latter is true. Then...would it's truth be proof enough that existence is futile? Perhaps, there really is no point to existence... and then again, if it's not true and reality should continue even if every living creature is dead, then maybe there really is a meaning or objective for life.
Maybe.

It scares me that in the next 36 years or so, computers will have developed so much that they will become faster/as capable as the human mind. Nowadays, this kind of computer would have to be gigantic (something like the size of a 7 storey building which could cover the area of a football oval). Am I the only one who is slightly disheartened by this?
The human race is evolving so fast that it is catching up to itself....it is creating things far more intelligent than itself. Ideally, it is creating a monster, as the thing which humanity fears the most. Take, for example, the common fear of aliens from distant planets, or whatever. We fear them....because, by accepting the fact that the aliens could travel to earth from another planet, we accept that they are far more intelligent than us. Agreeably, it is a scary concept. Also, there is the example of the theory of ghosts, or spirits. The common person would fear them, naturally, as by accepting their existence they must accept that they are from a different reality plane; hence able to cross alternate planes (something humans are unable to do) and proving themselves holders of a much vaster knowledge than ours.
Although, if these ghosts or whatever really are what we believe them to be, they cannot physically harm us...the only harm they could hypothetically deliver is mental harm...which could only come about should we fear them.
So really, humankind is creating this super computer...hence creating the source of it's own fears.

*sigh*

porcelain.
December 7th, 2008 at 02:30pm