GERMANY!!!!!

Okay so here is the deal. My Omi(grandmother) is from Germany. Frankfurt am Main to be exact. I want to go there so bad. I want to restart my life there. I can't see my life continuing in America. Although I do see my life continuing in other countries and me traveling the world.
I love my grandmother so much. I learned German so I could try and have conversations with her. I remember when I was in middle school- seventh grade I think; I called her up to say "Can you please tell me where the Bathroom is?" in German. She was so happy. I wish I got to know it more fluently before she died. At least I got to say a few things to her in German.
I hope she approves of me starting a life there. I know she would probably be scared shitless if I went. Her and her mother(I called her Omi instead of Great Grandma) left Germany to escape the Nazis. My grandmother came here at 12 and graduated high school at the age of 16 in advance placements and went to college majoring in math. She was such a smart lady. Such an inspiration to me. I love her and miss her a whole lot. She died when I was 14 or 15. I can't really remember. That year was a huge blur to me. My Omi died when I was 9. She was awesome. She taught me how to sew and how to make clothes and purses. She was so cool.
So yeah my plans for the next 5 years are outrageous. Ha ha this is me getting back on topic. The 2009- 2010 school year is dedicated to 1 year in Israel. The next is all schooling in Germany. I think I am going to try and spend 2 weeks in Berlin for an education political program in August. That would be school. I would hear first hand everything of what the German government thinks and works. I would love that. I really want to start a life there. I'd be so happy. I'd be leaving a dream. Just so amazing, honestly. i never thought I'd want to go there when I was younger.
I've been talking to people from Frankfurt and looking at pictures. It is such an amazing and beautiful place. It reminds me a lot of New York. So in a way; It wont be so bad. I mean sure I have to continue relearning the language and the math system but honestly it all seems so worth it. I really hope my plans work out. That would mean so much to me. I really want to learn about my family's past. It could really help me figure out who I am today. I am also hoping that maybe I still have some family in Germany or somewhere in the world. I really want to find them. My Grandmother was trying to find them for years. So far it looks like just her and Omi made it. But hopefully I can give it a try and find someone.
Oh boy. I really am a wishful thinker. I hope my plans work. ha ha.
December 10th, 2008 at 12:27pm