Riddle Me This, Mibbians.

Picked up my sister from University today. Perhaps, I made a point to tell her that I would wait for her in the parking lot where I know Paul's space is. I didn't know that he was off at the same time as she was, however, so I'm not completely crazy.

He looked great. He was wearing a shirt underneath his coat that I picked out for him over a year ago when we were just seeing each other. His hair had a messy bedhead quality to it that I hadn't seen before. It looked like, maybe, a toddler had a tantrum threw out it, but it still looked really sexy. I noticed his guitar in the backseat of his car, which is comforting because my friend told me that he wasn't playing as much.

He didn't just smile when he noticed me sitting in my car, drumming the steering wheel to the sound of The Go! Team. He really grinned and he didn't hide the fact he was happy to see me, which is nice, because truth be told, I was very happy to see him. Regardless of the things I'd heard and how things ended.

"Hey, Adam told me you got your tires slashed." He said when I rolled the window down. He examined the back tires and I'm assuming figured out that they'd been replaced.

"Yeah, Adam told me you got engaged." Do I know how to bury a lead or what!

He did that thing people do where they laugh because they've just been caught or things get uncomfortable. He ran one palm over his unshaved chin, stretching the skin to the side and holding his mouth open, thinking of what to say back.

"I'd rather sit down and talk about it with you." He finally stopped making stroke paitent-esq faces and said.

"What's there to talk about?" I giggled like I was indifferent. I'm not. "We broke up, three weeks ago, but whatever. We broke up, you've known her a long time. I think I'm happy for you."

"You think?"

"Yeah, I haven't really confirmed my feelings yet."

"Cool."

"So, do you want a blender or a set of mixing bowls?" - Me.

"What?"

"For your wedding present. I want to know, so I don't end up giving you the same thing as everyone else."

"Blender, I guess." We both sat there nodding for a bit and I secretly cursed my sister for doddling today. It would've saved me from this awkward conversation and the lies I was feeding my head. "So, you're not angry?"

I am, but I don't really have a right to be. He and I aren't together anymore, he can date, love, screw, kiss, fight with, cradle, propose, and marry whoever he chooses.

"No."

I should've left it at that, but I didn't.

"What's it about her?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, what was so special about her that you felt you had to date her at the same time as you were dating me? And how do you know she's the one you want to marry?"

He contemplated it, grinding his teeth with his mind open as he usually does to help come to conclusions.

"I just know. I don't have reasons, I just know."

Here's the question because I have never been in love, I've been close, but it's never been what I think "love" is supposed to be. So, do you think you need to have a reason to love someone or can you just know without anything to articulate?

Riddle me this. Can you passionately date someone and then turn around, three weeks after you've broken up, one week after begging them to give you another for days, and get engaged?
December 12th, 2008 at 07:01am