Conor Oberst

Of course we all love Conor Oberst. I mean, we've established that for a long time now.

So maybe he didn't 'save my life', if I ever had much of a life to begin with. Yes, even for saving. But, well, for example, because this is really best told in examples, I've really told anyone how being sad makes me happy. How I've daydreamed of going to funerals, of losing blood, of how feeling hopeless makes me feel full. Conor sings, And I sing and sing of awful things/The pleasure that my sadness brings.

I know it doesn't make sense that if being sad makes me happy and being happy makes me happy, why am I so fucking sad so much, and it doesn't explain anything. But empathy in itself makes everything better tenfold. Also I've realized how much more screwed up things could be; it's like that one saying that's like 'no matter how low you're feeling, there's always someone looking up at you and wishing they could be that high'. Etc.

And his lyrics, only as everyone knows, are incredible. It's just that after a while, it was starting to bother me how I wasn't as ecstatic about them as I used to be. And I realized that every song was just like a constant stream of amazingness, that never flagged and never let up. And it's like how my old band teacher drew a diagram on the board when we kept playing at one dynamic. It was a straight line, and he'd say something like, 'for all the aspiring doctors out there, what does this mean?'

It makes me so depressed to have to say this. It just starts to lack dynamics after a while. It's just too...amazing. I never thought it would come to this.

And what's the deal with Conor being an alcoholic/drug addict? It's a very recurring theme in his music and everyone talks about it. But, it mentions nothing of the sort on his wikipedia page, and seriously, if he really was a longtime alcoholic/drug addict, why does he look so pretty in all his pictures? The way he writes about it seems so personal, but it's extremely rare for writers to only write about personally experienced things, and we're pretty sure he didn't have five brothers that all drowned in the bathtub. But then again, who really knows anything about Conor Oberst besides all the concrete stuff?
December 14th, 2008 at 08:28am