The Fear of Lossing Fear!!!!

Originally vampires were thought of things to be feared, right?
Scary creatures that lived on top of a hill in some long forgotten place, a place where people rode in horses and carts. Vampires were a story to make good children behave, like a lump of coal from Santa if you are naughty.

I recently read an article in the 'Sunday Mail' an Australian newspaper about how modern society is glamorizing vampires, and turning them in to objects that are used for sex. I must admit that I am a fan of Twilight and Laurell K Hamilton books, but to me it seems that these authors are getting worse as they go on. At first these books had plots, and a great story line but as time went by, and they became more of a household name that the vampires became more of a sex object than a character.

People such as Vlad the Impaler and Elizabeth Bathery (sorry about the spelling) were those who inspired books such as Dracula. These people were real, the murdered and desecrated human bodies, people who had families. Would you have sexual fantasies about someone who may kill you and bathe in your blood? No, I don't think so! So why are we making these feared creatures the object of our desires?

In my opinion there is only one real writer who stays true to what vampires really are, but adds a touch of modernism and that is Anne Rice. Although this may sound contradictory to above where I stated that I am a fan of Twilight and so forth, I believe that we should continue to write about vampires to our hearts are content but why must they be so perfect, the one that we have been searching for our entire lives. Why can they not have faults, have a mole or two? Why can't they be more realistic?
December 20th, 2008 at 11:36am