Sakura's Self Indulgent Challenge

Hey There Guys. Welcome to the New World!

I'm kind of new at this, so please don't hate me if I do anything wrong. So, this is a challenge of music related inspiration and this is also to test out some fantasmic writing visions given through the power of melody.

All right, so most of you guys are into music, right? I'm gonna take a guess and say you probably are. Well, have you ever gotten sort of a vision while listening to a song? Almost like a movie? I know I have, along with other users, and also some famous writers. ::cue Twilight fangirl giggles::

All right. So, for every challenge there's rules, and criteria:

1 ) Try to be as original as possible. Don't write something everyone else is writing. This is to test out personal style and technique, and also learn the impact of a sound on the brain. Learn from your mind, write your heart out. That's all you have to do.

2 ) It's not mainly MSI fiction, though, it doesn't matter to me if you do so. It depends on your vision. If you picture Jimmy Urine dancing to "HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY", and that's your story, so be it. Just let me know it's fanfiction. Post that in the description, please.

3 ) This must be at LEAST 500 words. It's not that hard to write. I write 500 words a day, generally, in my oneshots. If you're short 50 words, I will not penalize you. I will tell you to add more if you give me something of just 350 words and say you're up short. I actually will count. (ah, the magic of technology...)

4 ) Give a proper title. Don't call it "Self Indulgent Challenge". That goes in the description.

5 ) There is no specific rating. I will have places for G-PG, and PG-13 - R. Stories may be put into different categories based on content.

6 ) Please put genres that actually pertain to the story. If it's fanfiction, don't put it under original fiction. It's not a rule, just some common sense to tell some people.

7 ) Please use proper spelling and grammar. I will not penalize you for a handful of typos, but I will not accept chatspeak unless it's an IM/MSN conversation.

8 ) USE DETAIL. I want to see into your mind at all you see. Make it feel like a movie. Make me see it.

9 ) This is a oneshot/twoshot challenge. No chapter stories, please. Co-writing will also not be accepted. This is a one person's job. Sorry if that's an inconvenience. :(

10 ) PM ME THE STORY WHEN YOU'RE DONE. DO NOT POST THE LINK HERE.
Reason being: I will not see the link. I don't check my journals on a regular basis.

11 ) Please put the song title and artist name in the description.You can have JUST THAT, if you wish, or have a full description. Song title and artist name is necessary. If you'd like to post a link (to Youtube) or a playlist with your song in it, that's fine as well.

Now, are there restrictions to the songs you can use? No. Are there restrictions to the artists you can use? Yes.

::Artists Accepted::

&Regina Spektor
&Evanescence
&Mindless Self Indulgence
&Cute Is What We Aim For
&Teddy Geiger
&Metro Station
&All Time Low
&Jefferson Airplane
&Panic at the Disco
&Fall Out Boy
&My Chemical Romance
&Noah and the Whale
&The Ting Tings
&Tilly and the Wall
&Meg & Dia
&Tegan & Sara
&Sara Barielles
&Laura Marling
&Zebrahead
&Killswitch Engage
&Fort Minor
&Ben Folds (Five)
&Anything from a Broadway or Off-Broadway show is fine as well.


I think that's a fair amount, no?

The Prizes:
First Place - Three comments to any of your stories, not including your "challenged" story. Also, a free banner to any story you wish.
Second Place: Two free comments, not including your "challenged" story, and a banner.
Third Place: One free comment with the same criteria as above, and a banner.

Honorable Mentions: Either a comment or a banner, whichever they wish.

FACT:

Now, this doesn't necessarily have to be a songfic. This can be just a regular story inspired by a song. Doesn't have to have a theme. Doesn't have to have any lyrics in it. Just do what you want, follow the rules, and write your hearts out.

Due Date Is: February 19th, 2009 (my mibba-versary)

Have fun, and just listen. <3

Love Always (and happy writing), Sakura
December 26th, 2008 at 05:40pm