Respect, respect, where are you?

I'm sure many MCR and MSI fans alike are aware that Lindsey is expecting the couple's first baby. I was so excited when I found out and went onto NME's website to read the story after hearing that Gerard had told NME that he was going to become a first-time father in early summer 2009. I wish the couple the best and can't wait to hear whether the baby will be a boy or girl and what they plan to call it. Even if they have no idea who I am, I still wish them the best because, well, I love them and their bands.

However, having read on NME's site, I came across some comments that, well, angered me. When you hear that a couple are expecting a baby, how do you usually react? Surely, you wish them the best and congratulate them, yes? Not on NME's website, it seems. I discovered some comments that infuriated me. Seriously, this is supposed to be wonderful and exciting news. So how come there's been a massive debate about whether MCR are emo or not?

Below are some of the comments that made me so angry:

To all pop rock boy band members who make more then 100,000 a year.On Behalf of all humanity, we have a population crisis.Please use a rubber or pull out.

hmm, it cant be his, he doesnt have any genitalia...cos hes an emo... im at school and very bored
- To which I think ~ I don't care if you're bored at school! Keep your opinions to yourself if you're just gonna' insult people.

i hope this means no more my chemical romance - most overhyped, overrated band since guns n roses

<insertusernamehere>: If you think they're not emo - you're foolin' yourself, mate.They're so emo, their hair cuts itself.

theres a magical moment in a mans life when he teachs his son to cut himself aww how cute
~ Oh yes, I think that's my favorite.

Maybe I'm over-reacting but personally, I was insulted for the couple. This may seem childish to you but I was tempted to turn around and say 'How would you feel if someone said these things about your child?' Sure, Gerard and Lindsey may never see these hurtful things (and I hope they don't) but does that justify someone to say these things?

Sure, what right do I have to defend the baby of two people I've never met but this isn't just about Gerard and Lindsey. And this is not about their music! How on Earth will the music they make affect the way they raise their child? And I would like to say, rather childishly, that MCR and MSI are not emo!

Music doesn't make you cut yourself! It's the person's mental state that will determine if they cut themselves! Even people who do it for attention (believe me it happens) don't do it because of the music. They do it because they've succumbed to an emo stereotype or because they want some kind of attention. And suggesting that Gerard would teach his child to cut him/herself is sick, twisted and wrong. It's one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard to be suggested. I even found a comment calling the baby the anti-christ. Of all the childish pathetic things I've ever come across.

There was one comment I agreed with more than anything. It wasn't an MCR or MSI fan having a rant (like I am) about how Gerard and Lindsey aren't emo. It wasn't someone congratulating them. It was five words: all of you need lives...........

Think what you like about this wondeful news for the couple. But I think opinions like the ones I've come across need to be thought, not said!

Again, I offer my congratulations to the couple and wish them the best.
January 4th, 2009 at 09:50pm