Closing Schools

So, the big news around here is that 11 rural schools on PEI are gonna be closed because of declining enrollment.

St. Teresa's Consolidated.
Tracadie Cross Consolidated.
St. Peter's Consolidated.
Dundas Consolidated.
Georgetown Elementary.
Grand Tracadie Elementary.
St. Jean Elementary, Charlottetown.
Parkdale Elementary, Charlottetown.
Eastern Kings Consolidated, Souris.
Fortune Consolidated.
Rollo Bay Consolidated.

I went to Tracadie Cross (not Grand Tracadie) for the first 8 years of my education. My mom and all my aunts and uncles went there. That's the first place I ate glue, was kissed, learned the "Baby Bumblebee Song", had an "apple" party, fought with friends, drew Clifford, made up with friends, fell in love, made a kite, broke my arm, played with Furbees, pretended to be a dog, pirate, monkey, and laughed the most in my entire life.

But I'm not sad that it's closing. The way I see it, the kids who still go there are going to have a better chance at an education if they end up merging with another school. Tracadie doesn't even have a gym; the recreation centre across the way was what we always used.

I guess saying I'm not sad is a bit of a lie, though. I'm a little sad that a part of my and lots of my friends heritage is going to be gone by next year. I'm concerned for the teachers and other staff. I'm scared that they'll tear the school down after its closed and I won't be able to break in and re-visit it.

Anyways, that's my thoughts on this change.
January 7th, 2009 at 11:44pm