Worthwhile Journal Topics....

The topic of your journal has to be something worthwhile and can't be silly spam. You need to put effort in your journals.

???

What is worthwhile?

Some thing can be worthwhile to someone, but worthless trash to others.

You can go and read something and end up like, "Wow, that really made me think, I'm glad I read that." And a different person could read the exact same journal and think that it wasted about three minutes of their life.

Take, for example, a story about how the eight key on my keyboard keeps screwing up. Would you read something about a defective eight key? Would you consider it to be worthwhile? What if ti went something like this:

On a cold, snowy Friday, right after getting of from school and finishing my massive pile of Algebra homework, I think, what the hell, lets go on the Internet. Pleased That I had actually succeeded in completing my Algebra homework and not doing half of it and finishing the rest at school, like I usually do, I decide that I deserve at least a good five hours on the computer.

I mean, seriously, Algebra sucks ass, and my teacher gave me like, fifty problems to work with, and finishing all of that, you would feel pretty proud too.

So, the first thing I do is, of course, go on Mibba. Seeing as it is my second home. After I reply to all my messages and profile comments I decide to go on AIM. Lightning Zap is away on vacation and I have no updates to read and my ever discouraging writer's block keeps me from updating any of my stories. I sign on to AIM to see my best Friend, Ginny, (who has a Mibba account but I can't remember her name because she changes it so much) signed one.

I squeal a bit with delight, retrieving odd looks from my father who was watching his Mexican Soap Opera's (Whatever the hell they're called) on the coach in the family room.

I enthusiastically double-click her name and greet her with a sweet "Hey hey".

She responds back with an"lol hey" and we start a conversation on how our lives are going and how come no guys like us and how Ginny has a new crush and how I am trying to find out whether said-guy likes me or not and if he didn't, did he just like to flirt with everybody?

You know, the usual teenage girl stuff.

Well, I just happened to misspell something (Curse those typos!) as I always do. I hold down the shift key and reach up to the eight key to make an asterisk and type what I really meant.

What I get is not the usual click of the keys that an avid writer/typer usually feels. And since I am such an experienced typer (yeah, right. Experience, my ass) I usually just have to look at the screen and not at the keyboard.

I look down at the keyboard, thinking I had just missed the key. I felt like I had just tapped the table. I see the eight key. And it's half in and half out. Depends on the way you look at it. You know, the optimist sees the glass as half full while the pessimist sees it as half empty. And since I can never decide which is right I just say both.

But, alas, I am getting a little off track here.

So the key is half in and half out. I try to tap on it but it just would not budge. I say/type to Ginny "My eight key is stuck!". She had already started to make fun of my little mistake which was probably something like "Seriouskly" or "Cooliop".

She brushes my distress aside and starts to talk about something else.

While she is talking I am desperately trying to get my fingers around the eight key and trying to pull it up from in between.

After a few tries I am finally successful and the eight key is where it is supposed to be.....

And there is more to the story than that. But would you read that and think it's a worthwhile thing to read? Do you, right now, want me to continue my story?

See, things can be worthwhile for any one.

And what about the "effort" part?

Could I write something interesting and captivating but at the same time didn't have to put any effort into it. Would you feel glad that you read it, or call it spam because it was an effortless thing to do.

Journals are all about writing about your feelings. They might not be interesting to other readers but sometimes you just need to vent. If you are talking about your feelings, yet, people don't find what you are writing worthwhile, then what?

There really isn't a point to this journal. I just felt like taking something and just reading into it and looking at it closely and just wondering. Anything to beat my writer's block.

Would that be considered worthwhile? Was this journal worthwhile to read??
January 11th, 2009 at 02:03am