Kerrang Relentless tour hits Oxford

Wow, what a night I had. It all started on arrival when we headed for a Burger to have a band member (don’t ask what band, I have no clue!) with a bodyguard also wanting a burger… I get mine and cram it in my face like I haven’t eaten in days… sauce everywhere, you get the picture… and then this guy turns to me, smiles, and says, ‘How are you? You going to the gig?’

I reply… ‘mrphhh…’ or a sound to that effect and nod. Then I swallow and add, ‘so I’ll see you there!’ He grins, grabs his take-out and leaves.

I finish my food and head to the venue where I get shoved straight in as there is no platform so they want me to position myself before they open the doors. So I go for the barrier at Steve’s side as its safe… yeah… right…

First band In case of fire were good, I enjoyed them. Not much else to say really. Good opener for the night and I may well be checking out their stuff in the future.

Next band, Black Tide, were amazing. I got a picture with one of the guitarists, woo, and go me!! I can’t wait to see them again and I will be looking out for CD’s to check out.

Just when we thought it couldn’t get any better Dir En Grey take to the stage. WOW, they rocked my socks off (Where in hell did that saying come from like… seriously?) But OMG they were jaw droopingly fantastic. I expected them to be good as I have some of their stuff but I was just blown away!

Then to kill the mood we get Bring me the horizon that sucked on a major level. Just to add to the sudden shit down turn along come Oxford Academy with a wind machine. They set this on arctic temperature and gale force and aim it at the crowd until said crowd turns blue and are screaming for it to be turned the fuck off!

Mindless Self Indulgence next and I realise this band mean to be the death of me! I thought Lyn-Z’s swan dive in Nottingham that nearly took me out was a mistake but now I am not so sure! During ‘Shut me up’ (first song, fuck, start as they mean to go on) Steve fell off the stag and ran along the front. He saw me, waved, blew me a kiss… then launched himself over the barrier at me. One girl had his weight to hold him off the chair, people were leaning round to hold him up, security were dragging him back, and I was cowering under him waiting for him to drop. He didn’t though and then he leant over to stick his finger up my nose (Ew!) Then Jimmy was in the crowd so they all fell on me and I was like… what the fuck am I doing here?! Last song and this girl had her leg caught round the wheelchair and it was like the Krypton factor to work out how to free her. God knows how she’d done it.

End and like... the return of personal space!! Steve came out first and this girl pointed to me. He leant over and said ‘what?’ so I asked for a picture and he said ‘oh right, follow me’… argh, déjà vu! Again I did and again I missed Kitty and Jimmy!

So, I ended up outside which was warmer than by that wind machine so we give up and go for the car. The chair would not go up the ramp so Rachelle (Carer) says she is going for a man to help. I jokingly said ‘Bring back Jimmy!’ so imagine my jaw dislocating and hitting the floor when she does just that!

He has a picture with me, hugs me, doesn’t complain when my hand gets wedged in his hair and I nearly yank his head off to free it. Jimmy helps with the chair, recruiting some fans to accomplish this and yay we are free to go!

I can’t wait to do it all again next week… roll on Birmingham!!

Pics at: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=72398&l=e12f0&id=554396332
January 21st, 2009 at 06:04pm