Dreaming of Death?

Why do we have dreams about people who've died? Is it just images taken from our subconcious memory? Random bits floating around up there that don't mean anything anymore?

I used to brush this topic off, but the dreams I've had about a person who died are becoming more frequent. She was one of my best friends, so naturally I want her back; I've kind of used that to explain them away. But the things she does in the dreams never happened, and wouldn't be possible even if she were alive. So why am I dreaming them?

Several years ago my mom had a dream that we were up north visiting family. Everyone was leaving to go do stuff. Her dead aunt turned around in the doorway and said, "Are you coming?" My mom started running around, collecting her purse and coat, then stopped and said, "No. I'll come when I'm good and ready." Three days later she got in a car accident. If she hadn't been wearing a seat belt, she'd have gone head first through the windshield and died.

I'm not suggesting that I'm gonna die anytime soon (that's a little extreme to me), but I do want to know now. Why? Considering everything that happened when she died, and in the 2 years following...my subconcious knows how painful it is to see her again. Why is it dredging up memories of her?
January 27th, 2009 at 05:35pm