School Coats Are The Invention of the Devil (Warning: Rant ahead!)

First, can I just say AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Now that I've got that out of the way, I'll begin.

So school ended today, and like every other day, I went to my locker to get my coat and start my walk home. But today, I got stopped by a teacher for the crime of wearing a coat.

Now, let me tell you about this coat. It's my pride and joy. I bought it for 6 euros in Penney's last year. It's plain black with gold buttons arranged in a double front, military style. My friends call it my Black Parade jacket. It's lovely and warm in this horribly cold weather and I basically just love it to bits. I've been wearing it to and from school every cold day for the last year, taking it off when I get in in the mornings, putting it back on to go home.

Except apparently, I'm not allowed to do that. I'm apparently not allowed to wear any non-school uniform items when I'm wearing my school uniform, even if school's over (and by the time I got stopped today for wearing it, it was a good five minutes after the final bell had rung). I protested, explaining that I have to walk home and it's below zero outside, but she said it didn't matter, I wasn't allowed to wear it.

Now, let me get this straight. School was over. It was a Friday afternoon. Surely if school's ended, I'm allowed to wear whatever I want? It's not as if I was wearing anything particularly offensive. It was just a rather conservative, plain black coat.

The teacher told me what I'm allowed to wear instead. I have two options: the school jumper, worn under my blazer, or the school hockey jacket. Neither of these is a practical solution. The school jumper is, of course, an item of clothing very specific to the uniform and must be purchased at the ridiculously over priced school shop. Not to mention that as it is February, if I was to buy it there would only be four months left of the school year to wear it in, because uniform changes in sixth form. And, of course, it's not very likely I'd need it every day for the rest of the term- I mean, give me a break: this is just a cold snap; it'll be Spring soon!

And then there's the school hockey jacket. Once again, can only be purchased at the school shop for an even dearer price than the jumper. This has the advantage of doubling up as a sports jacket. However, not really that practical. Once again, there is only a few months left of the school year, limited days of which will be cold. And it's not even as if I can wear it in Games class- I do aerobics and dancing, which is a strictly indoor activity. Once again: waste of money.

In conclusion, it would appear that my school would prefer me to be £40-50 out of pocket due to a coat/ jumper I'll probably only wear for twenty minutes a day for a few weeks, or freeze to death than wear a simple, plain black coat outside of school hours.

End of.
February 6th, 2009 at 05:02pm