faith like potatoes.

but this got me thinking.
one simple little phrase, but it's been stuck in my head for over a week.
FAITH LIKE POTATOES

now, you're all probably thinking, "oh geez, here she goes again trying to make something out of nothing". but really, THINK.
what would your interpretation of that simple, maybe silly phrase be?

for me, being ever so analytical, i think about everything and anything that could be talking about. faith in humanity, faith in karma, faith in Santa Claus, maybe even faith in NOTHING.
but then i started really digging into it.

when i think of a potato, i think dirt. literally, the noun, dirt. i think of the hard work that is put into a good harvest, of the sun shining so the potato plants can grow and sprout out of the ground. everything in the farming generalization. and now, try and apply that whole process to religion.
we are essentially the potato seeds. babies in our faith, not yet having been fertilized when we first hear about the religion we have chosen.
then the farmer, who could be symbolic of someone who invites you to church, or a pastor, plants you, the seed, into the dirt, which is essentially the church so you can literally grow and sprout and regurgitate the knowledge you gain about your religion.
then, with a little watering, and a lot of sunshine, like being involved in a bible study//youth group//active church activities, and being in touch with God; having that spiritual connection which makes religion so appealing.
after time, after being surrounded by all these necessities for our growth, we are out of our baby stage, and we are now a full grown potato. sounds fun, yeah?
but wait, there's more.

once we are full grown, and out of the potato patch, meaning we are informed and confident in our faith, we stumble into some obstacles.
we're plucked from our safe secure potato sanctuary. we're not watered everyday, we're not given sunshine for our growth, we are HELPLESS.
and then someone buys us. takes us home.
and this is the good part.
God, or the buyer, chose us, individually, from the dark sack we came from. He takes us, rinses us off of our doubts and our anxieties, and He WASHES US CLEAN. Sounds like being baptized, yeah? it sounds weird, i know. but just try to keep an open mind about it.
February 8th, 2009 at 03:21am