Fahrenheit 451

I just finished the book for English class this weekend, and I have to say that it is possibly one of the greatest books i've ever read. I usually hate the books they make us read in school, but this one I just couldn't put down. It really hit something with me.

For anyone that doesn't know, F451 is an older book, written in 1953, about censorship and book burning, and how it would effect our society if our government tried to control everything.

Anyway, I think the reason the whole book had me so enticed was because it was about taking away something I love so much and would basically die for- books. The funny thing is that i wasnt the only one in my class who was freaked out and outraged by this book. Can you imagine the government telling us what to read? Or purposly making us illiterate so that they could control our knowledge? To stifle creativity and wonder?

Throughout reading, I just kept putting myself into the situation of the main character, and it made me want to bawl at points. This guy was forcefed what was right and what was wrong for so many years and then all of the sudden, he finally wakes up and sacrifices everything for what he knows and believes is right! He lost his wife, his house, his job and almost his life! I'm so thankful that I have access to books, and that I have a desire to learn, and to know. Without books, Life would be dull. It may not even be worth living. If you've read the book, share your thoughts on it; I'd love to hear from others in the comments!

I think this book has kind of shown what I should be doing with my life; what I need. I need to write. Writing and reading is as natural as breathing or sleeping for me. If I don't write for a while, I feel incomplete. Maybe being an author isn't the best plan or career, but I'm going to keep at it even if it gets me nowhere.

I've also realized that I want to make a difference in someone else's life at least once in my lifetime, hopefully through writing or video, my second passion. If I can write or create something that can open someone's eyes, make them feel better, or ever change their ways of thinking if only for a moment, then I'll be satisfied. Until then, I work like hell to get it done.

That's pretty much it for tonight. Just thought I'd lend you my thoughts, free of charge. I've been wanting to post for forever now, but haven't had time to sit and gather my thoughts until now.
February 9th, 2009 at 06:15am